Looking for a fix to remove PC Fix Speed for a Windows 8 laptop

• 2 November 2013
  • 7 replies

Looking for a fix to remove PC Fix Speed for a Windows 8 laptop

7 replies

I have a HP Laptop that has PC Fix Speed malware that keeps poping up and I have been unable to remove it .  Does anyone have any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Hello sorhouet8 and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

First, just for future reference, please note that the Community is divided into specific forums.  The Discuss header at the top is where general posts go, posted into the appropriate forum.  This Idea's area is for ideas from us users to Webroot regarding product/service improvements.  Your post would probably best be located in the Techie Forum, and perhaps one of the Webroot Mods will be able to relocate this there.

Please forgive me for being a little behind the times: I am not a Windows 8 user yet.  I assume that you have used the standard methods of program removal from within Windows 8.  I have done some quick checking, and while I can find many references regarding removing this annoyware from within the normal place to do so (Programs and Features for me on my Windows 7 machine), I see just as many that mention directions for using software removal tools/utilities.  I am guessing this is a bit stubborn to remove.

In the past, some users here on the Community have used a program called "Revo Uninstaller" to remove stubborn, unwanted annoyware such as this.  You can find a link to this, and other utilities, HERE.  NOTE: All of the utilities listed on that thread are "at your own risk", and I do not have specific directions on HOW to use it for your specific issue.

Hopefully one of our Windows 8 users here on the Community will have a bit more detailed help for you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Thanks for the suggestion DavidP, moved the post to the techie forum now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
What's preventing you from removing it?
See if WSA quarantined the uninstaller for it. I've put in a business trouble ticket requesting they don't delete the uninstallers...
Userlevel 7
I have run into this PUA in Windows 7 in the past: The uninstallers were intact and did not work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Unfortunately, most of their engineering talent goes into automating the installation and reporting referrer ID rather than if the uninstaller does its job.
Using modern installation methods with proper rollback tends to decrease your installation rate on Windows XP SP1 computers.

DM;HS amirite Conduit?
Punks.
Userlevel 4
Go to your control panel, find the uninstall program link and click it, find the program you want to uninstall, click it and it should start uninstalling that program for you with key prompts that you need to finish uninstalling it.

Also please make sure that you do not cancel an uninstall half-way through the uninstall process as it will leave the program installed if you do that.

I did all my uninstalls that way and had no problems. I know I'm not a WebRoot person but I help my advice helps you.