Looks like Norton is following Webroot's lead...

• 11 July 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Sorry if this has already been discussed but check out the description of the new Norton Security product:

for the tl;dr:

"A new real-time malware detection engine fundamentally changes the way traditional file-based antivirus protection is delivered to our customers: Key features of this new engine include:
All of Symantec’s intelligence – over 4.3 trillion relationships – now powers all of Norton’s real-time protection. Every time you touch a file, Norton evaluates it against thousands of criteria to determine if it is an attack.
By relying on Norton’s cloud, the on-disk definitions are now 80% smaller. It’s our quickest and lightest Norton yet."

Interesting to see another company (finally) going in the right direction for the next generation of malware protection.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
WOW! I am impressed. Thank you for this Terry, I wasn't even aware Norton had a new beta yet. Big Kudos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Sorry if this has already been discussed but check out the description of the new Norton Security product:

for the tl;dr:

"A new real-time malware detection engine fundamentally changes the way traditional file-based antivirus protection is delivered to our customers: Key features of this new engine include:
All of Symantec’s intelligence – over 4.3 trillion relationships – now powers all of Norton’s real-time protection. Every time you touch a file, Norton evaluates it against thousands of criteria to determine if it is an attack.
By relying on Norton’s cloud, the on-disk definitions are now 80% smaller. It’s our quickest and lightest Norton yet."

Interesting to see another company (finally) going in the right direction for the next generation of malware protection.
Yes the defs are 80% smaller of how much I will take a guess 400 to 500MB's of 2GB's? Webroot is a Full Cloud Anti-Malware so it is very unlikely much of a change for symantec ho hum!

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I have just taken a look at Nortons for tonight and it is 335.18 MB, and that is not exactly tiny is it especially if you still happen to have a dial up or pay-as-you-go like one of my friends.
Userlevel 7
It amazes me that Norton finally...........................woke up and finally decided to follow the best (Webroot) but they can't even come to  Webroot malware protection.......... Norton will always IMHO second best if that. Prior years I had Norton nothing but bloatware and problems this is what I think Norton Products should be; 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I have just taken a look at Nortons for tonight and it is 335.18 MB, and that is not exactly tiny is it especially if you still happen to have a dial up or pay-as-you-go like one of my friends.
Do they do a full update every time or in increments as that would be nuts for anyone and the bandwidth needed. :@

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I think they do it in increments but there seems to be quite a lot of problems about large downloads but while saying that I do understand that at the same time there will be a lot of users who are satisfied and don't request help.
Userlevel 7
The reason that Norton is still so much bigger than WSA is that they have bolted on the technology that Webroot has pioneered/championed virtually on its own, of the major player, up till now, where as for WSA it has been designed AROUND the technology...and we know that Joe continually revised & optimised the code for lightness and efficiency.

Whereas since Norton 9 Symantec's offering has been, until recently, tantamount to bloatware IMHO, and the reason I stopped using Symantec products.  Unless they completely rewrite Norton with the same approach as Joe & the Webroot Development team they will never get anywhere near to WSA in terms of the size & 'protection' factor provided.

Well, just my view for what it is worth...and they will have to do so, so, so, so, so, so......much better than that to even tempt me to take a look at their products again.

Baldrick.
Userlevel 6
Their "cloud antivirus"  beta that was released to the public on the 10th has already had problems. It was actually released on the 7th and as fast as they put the links up for it, they took the links down even faster. 

I remember a very long time ago when Norton was thought of as the best anti virus protection out there.  They are trying to keep up with Webroot.  There is a lot of hype out there about it, many rumors as well - such as that PC world picked Norton 2015 antivrus for the product of the year award.

My opinion of Norton is it takes up a lot of space and uses a lot of resources. That was my experience with it when I used it years ago as well as my experience with it now on others' computers who use it now. 

I know nothing about Nortons stock or financial position nor am I interested in it. However, I have a feeling their #'s have been going south. As an observation, in my area, I see their software on the shelf, but I do not hear sales people nor tech people advising customers to use it. What I have been hearing recommended for the past couple years is Webroot and Kapersky, mostly Webroot because of its size. speed and, well bottom line, it is the best security protection. 

Norton has had its problems not just with their product, but internally as well. I think it was a CEO they fired around March. Their "cloud antivirus" has been in development for quite some time. I had heard about it several months ago. I think they ran behind schedule because of changing personnel.

Userlevel 7
Well it's about time the other players realize and accept the stellar efficiency and strength of WSA. They've just started to follow the leader. But no matter what, Webroot will remain sited at the top of the chain for a long time.:)