Malware: Consulted Xfinity provider, downloa Ad Block Plus, start up still slow w/solid screen...hel

• 29 July 2016
  • 1 reply

I'm a "semi-techie" with some experience with computers and classroom experience with computers interested in learning more through community experience rather than classroom.

I unfortunately clicked on the right menu within my Facebook acct. introducing Malware to my home laptop. As my screen buzzed and furiously flashed and buzzed, I read the request to call an 888 phone number; I immediately shut down and called my provider who advised I download Ad Block Plus and scan with malware bytes.org. After getting rid of the flash/buzzing, I now start up and each time it seems slow to start with a gray screen to begin with. Though I've scanned frequently, I can't help but think there's still something hanging onto my computer. Possible? Any way to further research?
Many thanks for any help you might provide,
Sue Wonder

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello suewonder,

Welcome to the Webroot Communuity,

You did the right thing bu shutting down your computer. This was obviously a Scam.

Please read this KB Article about PUAs. and/or you can Submit a Support Ticket and have the Support Team take a look for you. This is a free service with a Webroot subscription. They usually respond in 24-48 hours.

Hope this helps?