Show first post

70 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hello Dat67

Welcome to the Friendly Webroot Community Forum

The answers to your questions are is follows:

OSX means:

OS X is version 10 of the Apple Macintosh operating system. OS X was described by Apple as its first "complete revision" of the OS since the previous version is OS 9, with a focus on modularity so that future changes would be easier to incorporate. OS X incorporates support for UNIX-based applications as well as for those written just for the Macintosh.

How to change your username:

1.  click on your current user name located at the top right corner next to the words Notifications

2.  click on  My Settings

3.  Make sure you are under the Personal tab, under user  name.   Change your user name within the box.  Note:
If you change your username, your password is automatically reset. You will receive an email with password-reset instructions.

4.  What is the benefit to upgrading to W10:

I will let you make that decision by clicking on the following Microsoft video link: (there are also other window10 videos there if you decide to view them)

Microsoft Video Re W10

I'm sure other community members will give you their point of view on windows 10

Feel free to visit this community forum anytime for any questions you may have.  Hope this helps.

Always,

;)

Userlevel 1
Baldrick.  May I start off by saying "nice name".  Now, regarding MS feeling frustrated because people don't want their product even though it is being offered for free.  There is nothing in this world that is free.  MS has inserted their tracking code into Windows10, and even though they say your can opt out of those companies that track you, you really can't get away from all of them.  Frankly, I don't care to have a pop-up for camping products come in when I'm reading news stories.  Or vacation getaway offers popping up when I'm surfing camping products, and down the line.....  I took the offer of the free download last year before it was launched, chose at the last minute not to download it, and now I'm having the hardest time keeping MS from slipping 10 onto my computer.  I'm quite happy with Win7, thank you very much.  Now, as far as not even trying 10.  I just recently purchased a laptop from Best Buy.  Came with Windows10 preloaded.  Didn't have much of a choice.  So I have tried it.  Am totally not impressed, and respectfully have to disagree with your determination that Windows10 is the greatest and best version of Windows.  And yes, the practice is shoddy to say the least, and quite a piss poor business practice, and will push more people over to Apple then they think.  Best Regards, El Dondo
Userlevel 1
Yankeelady2015.
They are already slipping the WIndows10 upgrade into the regular windows update groups.  I finally had to hide that specific update in order to prevent it from downloading with my normal updates.  I also went online and found a program which will supposedly prevent Windows10 from downloading.  Seems to be working.  Regards, El Dondo
Userlevel 7
Hi Eldondo

Thanks for the reply...it made for interesting reading. I appreciate how you feel about MS & Windows 10...your views are your views and are to be respected for being that. :D

All I will say is that I am definitively not being tracked by MS unless I want the information to go back to them...am using a number of freeware tools that allow one to switch of the trackers...and I am certainly not receiving adverts or enticements for this or that when using my Windows 10 system...so I am suspecting that as with many things these days the whole issue is being 'blown up out of all proportion' by some in the press that are not MS or Windows 10 fans...but that is just my view...of course. ;)

I agree that MS are not acquitting themselves well or honourably over this whole aspect of the Windows 10 roll out...but again, this is their choice...hopefully it won't drive people over to Apple as I think that they will be disappointed when trying to use such a 'homogenised' & 'dumbed down' user experience...but then again it depends on what one uses one's system for...again...just my view. ;)

The bottom line is, in my opinion, 'Yes', MS can and should market Windows 10 robustly, as all good companies do re. their products, but in this case they have overstepped the mark by a long way in terms of the reported practices. Personally, I would love to hear/understand their thinking as to the approach.

Regards, Baldrick
Interestingly, one of the big reasons they want to push this is because it is harder to not update on 10. They are stuck with a very large portion of pcs being insecure, non-patched bot magnets. This is bad for everyone.

Yes, pushing people to 10 is a bit much, but they are trying to fix one of the biggest security issues of modern times, if not the biggest. We can't keep having non patched systems Internet facing if we want any kind of security. They let you turn off updates if you have the technical know how to do so, but at that point you know how to manage things yourself. "I don't understand the update" is not a valid reason not to update and I really don't want us to have to make hardware owners financially liable for comprised machines in order to get people to realize the cost to others of not keeping their system secure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi ?

I am well aware that MS is including the win 10 upgrade in windows update,  Did you know through win updates that if you turn a function off in windows 10, MS (through update(s) will turn that function back on and grey it out?

You know windows 10 isn't that bad, you just have to know how to tweak it. ;)

Always,
Userlevel 1
Yes ma'am.  Know that.  I also know that you are unable to completely turn off the tracking, and that's what I don't think is right.  You may be able to turn of "x" number of the websites tracking you, but there are those who don't/won't agree to the "turn-off tracking" option.  MS went and did this in order to gin up the financing in order to rush this product to market.  "ADVERTISE WITH US, WE'LL TELL YOU WHO'S VISITING WHERE!"  No thanks.  Having access to some of the apps available on the market is nice, but not at the price that MS is asking/demanding.
Userlevel 7
Hi Eldondo

Hope that you are well?

I do not believe that this is correct...the tracking is mainly in realtion to one's use of the features of Winodws 10 (and there is no more website visited tracking in Edge then there was in IE11...and we will soon be able to deal with that by tyhe addition of extensions as per IE11).

Most of the tracking and as far as I am aware the more insidious ones can be turned off...Microsoft even allow some of that turning off to be done from within the Settings pages within WIndows 10 itself.

If often check that what I have turned off is still turned off and from the very good free apps that I use to do the turning off I am told that the tracking remains off.  I appreicate that you are most likely not interested but should you some day be then look me up and I would be happy to share the details of these apps with you.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 1
Thank you for asking, I am well.
I am interested, and someday will request your knowledge on the apps to use to turn off the tracking.
Best Regards from a devouted Blackadder fan.
Eldondo
Userlevel 7
Hi Eldondo

You are most welcome...as I said before, just PM me as and when the mood takes you...you see I have a 'cunning plan' to get more people using Windows 10...;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
How does one 'disable auto-updating?
Userlevel 7
Hi Oldhenwife

Hope that you are well?

One cannot 'officially' disable auto updates from within Windows 10...the best one can do is to defer the updates. To disable auto updates you neeeed to use a 3rd part app to tweak the standard settings. If interested the PM me and I can share the details of some of the apps that one can use.

If one does not want to use an app then it can also be done using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services. In the 'Services' window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process. But personally I do not like messing directly with core Windows services due to their interlinking, etc.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
There's one trick that works which is to set your wifi as metered, and then it will prompt before downloading so as not to go over your data cap. But that doesn't work if you use a hard wired connection.
Userlevel 7
Nice one, Nic...one for the kit bag methinks. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here is a way to control Windows Updates!

Make Windows 10 notify you before downloading or installing Windows Updates! See Attachment:

Note this work around it not for every user and Webroot doesn't take any responsibility if one makes these changes!

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +34

@ wrote:

Make Windows 10 notify you before downloading or installing Windows Updates! See Attachment:

Note this work around it not for every user and Webroot doesn't take any responsibility if one makes these changes!

Daniel ;)

Hi Daniel

Does this workaround apply to Win 10 Home or just to W10 Pro?

Regards

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

@ wrote:

Daniel ;)

Hi Daniel

Does this workaround apply to Win 10 Home or just to W10 Pro?

Regards

Nemo
I'm not sure do you see the settings on Windows 10 Home version? It doesn't look like it? http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
I don't see any settings in W10 Home or Pro - as I am still using W7 Pro. 😃 Just trying to get the correct info for when/if I make the move (and whether to get Pro) - although it won't be for a while yet!
I have 'upgraded' to Windows 10 four times and then went back to W7 each time since I have never been able to get my Internet to activate (work).  I have a Time-Warner cable Internet connection under W7.  W10 kept saying the problem was probably because I needed a driver update.  I have gone to HP (the brand of my computer laptop), Time-Warner and other sources but no one seems to be able to help or understand the problem.  HP says not to go to W10 OR just buy a new HP computer.  Time-Warner says they never recommend going to W10 and maybe it would be better to  just buy a new computer with W10 already loaded.  Someone else said to check the Internet cable connection in my computer to see if a driver needed updated. When I looked at the connection in my HP laptop all the connections indicated were for wireless, which this is not.

I will stay with W7 until Microsoft no longer supports it, then I will probably buy a Mac.

By the way, I have tried to get a resolution by joining a MS community but all the suggestions were things tried and failed.  It is amazing that no one in all the technical world seem to know why my Internet will not work in W10.  (As you can see from all this I am a real unsophisticated user and have a hard time understanding all the tech issues.)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I will stay with W7 until Microsoft no longer supports it, then I will probably buy a Mac.

You will have no problem running WSA on a iMac Computer. iMac and WSA is a perfect marriage. 😉