Microsoft accuses Google of pushing services to Android

• 9 April 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
9 April 2013 Last updated at 07:08 ET BBC News

Microsoft has accused rival Google of pushing Android handset makers to use its applications such as YouTube and Maps.
Along with Oracle, Nokia and 14 other tech firms, Microsoft has filed a complaint with the European Commission.
The group, known as FairSearch, argues that Google is abusing its dominance of the mobile market.
In response to the filing, Google said: "We continue to work co-operatively with the European Commission."

Trojan Horse

"We are asking the commission to move quickly and decisively to protect competition and innovation in this critical market," said Thomas Vinje, Brussels-based counsel for FairSearch.
"Failure to act will only embolden Google to repeat its desktop abuses of dominance as consumers increasingly turn to a mobile platform dominated by Google's Android operating system," he added.
Android is now the dominant mobile operating system, accounting for 70% of the market, according to research firm Gartner.
The complaint describes Google's Android operating system as a "trojan horse", offered to device makers for free. In return they are "required to pre-load an entire suite of Google mobile services and to give them prominent default placement on the phone," the complaint reads.

Full Article

TH

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Id have to agree as a ex-Android user I can vouch for how poor the Google family of apps are on non-android devices. I am avoiding using as many of google`s services as I can if possible. I do not like the direction that they are heading in.
Userlevel 7
Well, as far as I know users are able to download 3rd party Maps apps, etc that are non Google.  So.. while they may be wanting to have their own software as a default and preinstalled.. users are able to choose a different direction.

My only issue is the inability to REMOVE the pre-installed apps.  I do not use a majority of the apps that were preinstalled on my phone.  I do not mind them being provided, but I would like the ability to remove the ones I choose not to use.
Userlevel 7
Microsoft has accused rival Google of pushing Android handset makers to use its applications such as YouTube and Maps.
It sounds like Microsoft is giving Google a push notification.  /bad pun/
Userlevel 7
Well, firstly I think Microsoft is the last who should blame others for favoring their interests. Look at IE, Windows Media Player etc.

Secondly, while I fully understand Roy's standpoint, I also understand what majority of ordinary users call for. They want to have "all in one" in the maximum extent. Love or hate it.

Thirdly, each company, including Microsoft and Google, wants to make as big revenues as possible. That's the rule of doing business.