Microsoft halts rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Update: What happens next?

• 7 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Only days after releasing its latest feature update to Windows 10, Microsoft abruptly stopped the rollout and pulled the new version from its download servers as it investigates "isolated reports" of a data-destroying bug. What should you do now?
[img]https://zdnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/07/22/d159b209-1174-11e4-9732-00505685119a/thumbnail/40x40/fa1045ee5ac3825d5122a1105b1568df/ed-bott.jpg[/img] By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | October 6, 2018 -- 15:38 GMT (08:38 PDT) | Topic: Windows 10

Microsoft has halted the rollout of Windows 10 version 1809, the October 2018 Update. The company released its latest feature update to the general public on Tuesday, October 2nd, and had planned to begin delivering it automatically through Windows Update roughly a week later. Those plans are on hold while the company investigates reports of data loss associated with this upgrade.
See also: Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October Update (version 1809)
Earlier today, on its Windows 10 Update History page, Microsoft confirmed its decision to suspend the public delivery of this version:
We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.
[...]
If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don't install it and wait until new media is available.
We will provide an update when we resume rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to customers.
Via email, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed that announcement: "We have paused the rollout of the update while we continue to investigate reports from some customers."
In a tweet, Dona Sarkar, who runs the Windows Insider Program, advised anyone affected by this issue to call Microsoft's support lines: "They have the tools to get you back to a good state." The implication in that tweet (and in the language from the original bulletin) is that the files have not been deleted but are available elsewhere on the system disk
In the United States, you can reach Microsoft Support at 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676). For Windows 10 customers in other regions, check the list of local support numbers on the Global Customer Service Phone Numbers page.

Full Article Here:

2 replies

Thanks for the info, Sherry. I had delayed the update on all but one PC. I had burned an ISO of the update just last night and was going to do a clean install tomorrow. I think I'll wait. ;)

Looks like I have a new coaster for my Oktoberfest. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks for the info, Sherry. I had delayed the update on all but one PC. I had burned an ISO of the update just last night and was going to do a clean install tomorrow. I think I'll wait. ;)

Looks like I have a new coaster for my Oktoberfest. :D
Just paint that new coaster orange

Smart move! I'd wait too! :D

You're most welcome BD!