Microsoft Is Building a New Browser As Part of Its Windows 10 Push

• 30 December 2014
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Posted by samzenpus on Monday December 29, 2014

mpicpp sends word that Microsoft may be working on a new browser. "There's been talk for a while that Microsoft was going to make some big changes to Internet Explorer in the Windows 10 time frame, making IE 'Spartan' look and feel more like Chrome and Firefox. It turns out that what's actually happening is Microsoft is building a new browser, codenamed Spartan, which is not IE 12 — at least according to a couple of sources of mine. Thomas Nigro, a Microsoft Student Partner lead and developer of the modern version of VLC, mentioned on Twitter earlier this month that he heard Microsoft was building a brand-new browser.

Full Article

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webrooters!

A www this sounds very interesting Jasper!
Userlevel 7
Well, about time too.  It is a miracle that IE has lasted this long and ironically IE11 for tablet is actually the best of all browsers I have ever tried...far superior to Chrome & Firefox in terms of speed and stability, etc. (and I remember being excited by Netscape...sad git that I was then...;))

Let's just hope they have learnt their lesson well and produce a humdinger of a browser.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
The new browser is currently under development at Redmond and has the project codename of "Spartan." A formal brand name for it has yet to be announced, but Foley notes that Microsoft employees mentioned in a Reddit AMA a few months ago that Microsoft had considered potentially discarding the "Internet Explorer" name and brand. That branding turns 20 years old in August 2015 and has two decades’ worth of mental associations and baggage—some of it positive, much of it extremely negative. It seems certain at this point that "Spartan," when it ships, will not do so under the IE brand umbrella.

Full article.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hellko Webrooters! I'm really liking this new Windows 10. Spartan it is!!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/2015/01/img_9130_story.jpg

Microsoft took to the stage today at its headquarters in Redmond, Washington to talk about the next chapter of Windows 10. One of the new items that is shipping with the OS is a new browser that the company hopes will reinvigorate its place in the browser wars.

The browser is called Spartan, for now, as it is a project name and it will support a new rendering engine.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Apologies but something about this was post about 3 weeks ago.  See https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Microsoft-Is-Building-a-New-Browser-As-Part-of-Its-Windows-10/m-p/179365#M6900
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'll merge the threads.

I'm curious why they picked this name, since the Spartans lost at the battle of Thermopylae.  Maybe it's a reference to the size of the armies being equivalent to the size of the market share 🙂
Userlevel 7
Actually, Nic, it is a moot point as to whether they lost or not; yes, the 300 (there were in fact maore than that number fighting on the Spartan side) very virtually massacred to a man, but then again (i) they took far more Persians with them & (ii) they bought time for rest of Ancient Greece to mobilise and therefore denied Xerxes I the easy conquest of the territories labelled by us as Ancient Greece.

For Xerxes is was a 'pyrrhic' victory is you can call it one at all. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good point - and kudos on using moot in it's original meaning!  
Userlevel 7
We should iindulge in some further badinage at some point soon...perhaps pick a topic and see where it goes...that is if either of us can find the time...eh? ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah I'm always up for learning new things about history or whatever.  I love to squirrel away new facts 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Microsoft shows off Spartan browser's mobile UI, light and dark themes

http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/2015/01/spartandestop.jpg

Microsoft showed the world yesterday its future with Windows 10 and part of the conversation included a new browser which the company is calling 'Project Spartan'; that's a codename for now and may not be the final name. While the details were light yesterday and not all of the features were shown off, the company has provided a bit more information today.

Full Article