Microsoft Is Ending Windows 10 Updates

• 29 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

April 27, 2023 2:20 p.m. PT

The current version of Windows 10 will be the last, and support for the operating system will end in 2025.

The current version of Windows 10 will be the last.

James Martin/CNET

Microsoft is finished with major updates to Windows 10, the tech giant said in a blog post Thursday. Windows 10 version 22H2 is the current and final version of the operating system, though Microsoft said it will continue to release monthly security updates for all Windows 10 editions until it reaches end of support on Oct. 14, 2025.

Existing long-term servicing channel, or LTSC, releases will still receive updates beyond that end of support date, the company said.

What does this mean for you? With no new Windows 10 feature updates coming, Microsoft is recommending you transition over to Windows 11. You can still use Windows 10 after the end-of-support date, but without additional security updates after that time, your PC will become more vulnerable to various security risks.

Full Story

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well I’m sure Windows 12 will be much better than Windows 11 and satisfy the many of us who continue to use Windows 10. 

Why is it always EVERY OTHER operating system with Microsoft that people like?

Pretty much the same with macOS too. Every other os seems to be the good one!

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Well I’m sure Windows 12 will be much better than Windows 11 and satisfy the many of us who continue to use Windows 10. 

Why is it always EVERY OTHER operating system with Microsoft that people like?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I will stay with Win 10 on my 3 laptops and only one will accept Win 11 but in no rush to update for what ever reason. 🙃

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Basically I’ll stay as is until no more security updates.

• My current “production” personal laptop purchased in 2017, Intel 7th gen chip will stay at Win 10 22H2 until Oct 2025 as the chip does not meet Win 11 specs
  • My knockabout travel laptop is older, has an Intel 4th gen chip, will stay at Win 10 22H2 until Oct 2025. It has a bootable SSD secondary drive in the WWAN slot and it’s running Linux (Zorin OS)
  • I have older decommissioned business desktops I when I used to support a business but Windows 10 runs so slow on them that I’ve extended their use by installing Linux Mint or Chrome OS.

Pretty much I’ll only move to Windows 11 if I purchase a new machine or if I buy a refurbished one ensure the chip is at least Intel 8th gen or whatever the minimum Win 11 chip requirement is at that time.  I’m not a gamer, so special hardware or unique software requirements, and have been transitioning to use MS Office compatible suites or cloud based apps over the past year so I can move older computers in 2025 to Linux Mint if I need to.

My parents has a neighbor who has the same 2016 basic HP laptop (with AMD chip) as theirs. I’ve set my parent’s laptop to stay at Win 10 22H2 and its running fine. The neighbor wanted to give her laptop to her sister so she had a big box store tech support wipe the drive and re-install OS. They installed Win 11 (don’t know if the chip is officially Win 11 “compatible” but the chip is a budget tier rather than performance) and that thing boots up so slow and not that responsive.  I was shocked that support just installed Win 11 given the slowness but understand that Win 10 is limited to security updates until 2025.  I don’t believe the techs discussed with her the various Win OS re-install ramifications regarding the age / chip of her laptop.