Microsoft Re-Enables KB3035583 on Windows 7 to Force Windows 10 Upgrade

Userlevel 7
ay 5, 2016 05:49 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa 

Now, this not good, but not entirely unexpected!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL6zSDuaA4Z-eK5l2V9qN71sLRSmeLVW0sookkFGLBrmaJJvur5A

"Windows 7 users are reporting that the notorious update KB3035583 has been re-enabled on their computer without prior notice, so Windows 10 files could be again downloaded to prepare the upgrade to the new operating system.

KB3035583 was first released in the summer of 2015 to prepare the transition of computers running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to the new Windows 10. The update brought the infamous Get Windows 10 app that checked systems for compatibility issues with the new OS and downloaded all the prerequisites to perform quick deployment with minimum user interaction."

Full Article

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
That is not good at all. The users should be able to say NO to Windows 10 instead of being reminded all the time and to have a an install forced upon them is totally wrong. While I have had no problems with it and do like W 10 that is not the case with everyone so they should be given a choice, yes or no.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Why does Microsoft do this. They have to know that people don't like being pushed to change their OS. I also like Windows 10 but there is only a short time left before one can upgrade for free so I don't get it...why bother? 
Userlevel 7
Perhaps that is the reason...they are trying to tempt those not yet upgraded before they have to pay for the new version...which I suspect that many will not do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Perhaps that is the reason...they are trying to tempt those not yet upgraded before they have to pay for the new version...which I suspect that many will not do.
AwHa that makes sense. Most follks will not pay for this upgrade ...you are right about that!:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Or annoy us that not upgraded yet. 😠 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can anyone let me know if one of the GWX Removal Tools continues to work after these updates? Or do you have to run them again? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Remove-GWX-Notification-for-Windows-Upgrade-to-Windows-10-for/td-p/238719

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes I can let you know that. I have Windows 7 Pro on my one laptop. I will use the removal tool and then get the update and try it again? Is that what you want to know if the removal tool still works after this update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes and or does it still stop GWX after the updates? Like in the need to run the tool again or running it once is enough to stop it for good?

Thanks ?

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sure thing Daniel! I ran the GWX and it took out Microsoft nag window. So all I need is the Windows update . (KB3035583):D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
PropertiesArticle ID: 3035583 - Last Review: 05/04/2016 21:25:00 - Revision: 12.1
Applies to
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Keywords:
  • kbfix atdownload kbsurveynew kbexpertiseadvanced KB3035583

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/3035583
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Might be awhile..I have 18 updates and this laptop is slow.. Laptop is going to shut down after the updates are installed and then I will restart Windows 7.

So I'll see if that Windows update comes through or not. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No worries I'm just wondering!

Thanks Sherry!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I am quite curious myself Daniel!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
HI ?

I installed my 18 updates which Windows failed to install Windows10 upon restart like it always does. But I thought after installing these updates that it might provide the KB3035583 again.since I disabled it with the GWX utility. The update of KB3035583 was installed already on April. 3 rd.2016.

The Windows 10 notification did not return since I used the GWX Stopper. Since I already had the Windows update I don't know how that would work since I already had this KB3035583 already installed? The Windows notification did not return in the system tray. Now what?

EDITED:  UPDATE: I rebooted my computer and it installed 3 more updates and one of them was KB3035583 for 5/5/16. The GWX still worked by stopping Windows notification to pop up. Success with this utility! Yeah!:D
Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel

I think that even if you take it out with GWX it will return unless you use GWX in real time mode, i.e, run its background monitoring fucntionality...at least that is what I saw when I last used it.

Regards, Baldrick