Microsoft Security Essentials Alert

• 9 February 2014
  • 15 replies

I had a red bordered alert pop up with an alert for Microsoft Security Essentials which said my computer was infected with 3 different virus's one a trojan and two others.  Webroot did not pick it up immeidately, but when I ran a scan it said there were 3 infected files and removed them.  The only problem is when I open my internet it still keeps appearing and I can't close it or X out of it.  Anyone else with this problem?  I keep running my webroot but it says there are no problems.  Can anyone help. I tried closing out with control/alt/delete and shutting the page down, rebooted and went into the control panel/internet options an removed all temporary files, cookies, etc. and restarting again, but the pop up came back as soon as I opened an IE page.  I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi bsawyer0848

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

Personally (and I stress the PERSONALLY) I would not trust MSE and what it is reporting after the clean up with WSA.  You have WSA installed and protecting you and so you do not really need anything else...WSA is more than sufficient as protection...so I would diable MSE as soon as possible.

I know that this does not really answer the question you posed but I do believe that in the circumstances it is appropriate.

In terms of s detailed response on MSE hopefully someone more learned in that area will be along to advise.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick
I am having the same problem with Microsoft Security Essentials. It used to be an occasional nuisance. Now it is taking over. Exactly how do I get rid of it? (windows 8)
thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I am having the same problem with Microsoft Security Essentials. It used to be an occasional nuisance. Now it is taking over. Exactly how do I get rid of it? (windows 8)
thanks
Hello dogfish and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Windows 8 does not have MSE it's called Windows Defender are you sure your seeing MSE alert?

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hi dogfish

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

I could try to give you the instructions on how to do this in this post but that would take a while to write (and it is Sunday...after all;))

So please take a look this thread (from another well respected Windows 8-related forum that I have occassion to refer to a number of times and have never had any issues with re. advice given...hope that is OK, Mods?) and that should give you the steps to take.

Of course it goes without saying that if you disable Windows own security app for Win 8 (EDIT: as Daniel has very correctly pointed out is WIndows Defender) that you should have a replacement security app installed to fill the 'gap...hopefully, as you are posting here, it is WSA? :D

Post back to let us know how you get on, etc.

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Or it could be tthis issue? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/What-a-fake-antivirus-attack-on-a-trusted-website-looks-like/td-p/80641#.Uvd6vIU_9Xo can you confirm if it looks like this?

Thanks,

TH
hi TH.
yes, the exact same popup as bsawyer described above.
thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It could be a new infection per say or just when you visit a Web Page so at this stage please Submit a Support Ticket so that the Threat Team can have a look at your scan logs and if you are infected they will help you clean it free of charge and please let us know the outcome.

HTH,

TH  ;)
ok, I submitted a support ticket.
thanks to all of you
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great not to worry because if you are infected WSA is keeping an eye on it as it starts to Journal and when they mark it bad in the Cloud it will rollback to the pre-infection state please see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202#.Uvd_i4U_9Xo

TH
Userlevel 7
Nice spot, Daniel! :D

One to watch out for in the future.

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks again TH.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Nice spot, Daniel! :D

One to watch out for in the future.

Regards, Baldrick

I remembered reading the Article but hopefully they are not infected and if they are WSA will clean it up!

@ wrote:
Thanks again TH.
You're very Welcome dogfish but please let us know the outcome because I'm curious about this subject!

Cheers,

TH
All seems ok except I keep getting the pop up and cannot x out of it. I have to open a new tab in IE to use internet
Userlevel 7
Hi bsawyer

That is why Daniel (TripleHelix) recommended to dogfish that he open a support ticket, so that the Support Team can things out and resolve this issue.  

If you have not already opened one then I would suggest that you do amd I hope that they will be in touch tomorrow at the latest (given that we are still during a weekend).

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
This is an image file that has been around for a long time, the website will eventually ask you download a "cleanup" tool which is an actual infection. What ever site you saw this message I wouldnt visit it again.