Microsoft to end Windows 10 support on October 14th, 2025

Show first post

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

The main suppliers only ship new devices with Windows 11. This is apparently a contractual obligation with Microsoft. This causes a lot of work for us as a support party for our customers. Not to mention all the questions end users have because the interface has been turned upside down again.

I remember back in the days all the new machines shipping with Vista and having to downgrade them to XP as thats what our customers wanted. 

I and the same thing with Windows 8 back to Windows 7. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

I like my legacy MBR and Windows. I’ve been doing that for decades now… why you gotta do this to me

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I’d also like to know their logic behind how Windows 11 navigates (or doesn’t in my opinion!)

Describe what you mean by “navigates”, a I am not sure I understand here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’d also like to know their logic behind how Windows 11 navigates (or doesn’t in my opinion!)

Describe what you mean by “navigates”, a I am not sure I understand here. 

I mean how they expect the user to navigate around the interface. It’s less intuitive than windows 10

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

True. Upgrading an OS always seem like a voyage of discovery with downtime of productivity!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve been using Windows 11 for about 3 months now and don’t hate it. There are some things I don’t like: Seems like every new version of Windows makes Control Panel harder to find and use.

The most annoying part is not being able to right-click the taskbar for task manager. ugh.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Some bloke by the name of Bill Gates once said that “640K software is all the memory anybody would ever need on a computer”.  Little did he realise that Windows contains a lot of software that does not even run in 640Kb.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Thanks for the info, Windows 11 has been working great for us so far, now I just need to convince all my customers to upgrade in the next couple years :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

During its announcements of the Windows 11 rollout, Microsoft reiterated that Windows 10 would remain supported until October 14, 2025. The company put it in writing, too, in a blog post(Opens in a new window) that confirms the date. This applies to both Home and Pro versions of Windows 10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Me waving goodbye to Windows 10…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The most annoying part is not being able to right-click the taskbar for task manager. ugh.

Damn, I did not know that. I have not had to bring it up yet. Why would they remove that functionality? What good reason can they give for removing something that has been in Windows for what, 5 major releases now?  Stupid. 

For me, most of the functionality etc in Windows 11 seems to be ok. My laptop actually behaves way better since I have been on Windows 11. There are a few minor gripes I have, example the taskbar layout for me is irritating. Basic navigation when you hit the windows tile was a little different, but got use to that. So cannot really say I dislike it, more like I had to get use to it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

End of support doesn’t really seem to make much difference to many businesses. They will still continue to use it and not upgrade their OS. Or keep legacy hardware that can’t upgrade.

I’m fed up of still seeing windows 7!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Don’t worry as Windows 11 is as popular as Windows Vista was.  Microsoft is likely to release Windows 12 soon and that’s probably Windows 10 + several more features that we don’t need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

End of support doesn’t really seem to make much difference to many businesses. They will still continue to use it and not upgrade their OS. Or keep legacy hardware that can’t upgrade.

Yeah I loved win 7 for its time but it's long past now. I grimace everytime I see a machine with it installed, only reason clients have though in our case is compatibility with third party programmes they use for factory stuff for instance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Damn, I did not know that. I have not had to bring it up yet. Why would they remove that functionality? What good reason can they give for removing something that has been in Windows for what, 5 major releases now?  Stupid. 

For me, most of the functionality etc in Windows 11 seems to be ok. My laptop actually behaves way better since I have been on Windows 11. There are a few minor gripes I have, example the taskbar layout for me is irritating. Basic navigation when you hit the windows tile was a little different, but got use to that. So cannot really say I dislike it, more like I had to get use to it. 

Much like you Martin I am satisfied with windows 11, in my case I wouldn't say I was 'happy' with it. I feel the same way about it I did with Windows 8.1. it winds me up you can't right click on the taskbar for task manager and I have to right click on the start button only now for that (or press the classic  ctrl alt del), but the biggest gripe I have over everything else is that even after all this time, I still find myself ending up at control panel because the modern Settings still don't give me all the settings control panel has. How, after all this time?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah I loved win 7 for its time but it's long past now. I grimace everytime I see a machine with it installed, only reason clients have though in our case is compatibility with third party programmes they use for factory stuff for instance.

Yes, same here. A coupe of lingering programmes. Or they cant be bothered to buy a new PC!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have the same problem with my home PC and my CPU is not on the supported list but would ultimately be absolutely fine if I bothered to do a fresh install of 11 as opposed to upgrade from 10 which prohibits it. Realistically it is just a way for them to drive sales of hardware.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Thanks for the info! Windows 10 has been a very solid operating system. The transition to Windows 11 has been a relatively easy one. Two and a half more years of support for W10 will be plenty.