Microsoft to end Windows 10 support on October 14th, 2025

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Another sign that a new version of Windows is on the way!

Jun 14, 2021, 9:06am EDT

Microsoft is ending support for Windows 10 on October 14th, 2025. It will mark just over 10 years since the operating system was first introduced. Microsoft revealed the retirement date for Windows 10 in an updated support life cycle page for the OS. Thurrott reports that this is the first time Microsoft has ever described the end of support for Windows 10.

It’s not clear exactly when the support document was updated, but Thurrott reports it only previous documented “when specific Windows 10 versions would leave support,” and not the entire OS. It could be another hint that a new version of Windows is on the way.

Microsoft keeps dropping Windows 11 hints

Microsoft has been dropping lots of hints that it’s ready to launch Windows 11. The software maker is holding a special Windows event to reveal the “next generation” of the OS next week. The event starts at 11AM ET, and the event invite includes a window that creates a shadow with an outline that looks like the number 11. Microsoft execs have also been teasing a “next generation of Windows” announcement for months, and one even described it as a “new version of Windows” recently. Microsoft also teased Windows 11 during an 11-minute video last week.

We’re expecting Microsoft to announce a new version of Windows with significant user interface changes, and an overhaul to the Windows Store. Microsoft has been working on something codenamed “Sun Valley,” which the company has referred to as a “sweeping visual rejuvenation of Windows.” There will be many other changes, so read our previous coverage for what to expect.

We’re expecting to see a new version of Windows soon.

Microsoft originally committed to 10 years of support for Windows 10, with an original mainstream end of support date set for October 13th, 2020. That mainstream end of support has not yet commenced, as Microsoft has been introducing regular updates and extending active Windows 10 support.

We’re still not in the extended support phase of Windows 10 yet, which is the period when Microsoft doesn’t add new features to an operating system and simply maintains support with bug fixes and security patches.

Windows 10 has been an unusual release for Microsoft, as it moved away from its typical cadence of releasing a new version of the OS every few years. Instead, Microsoft moved Windows to more of a service, updating it twice a year with new features. Microsoft may have described Windows 10 as “the last version of Windows,” but it has now been nearly six years since its release and Microsoft looks ready to move on to something new.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/14/22533018/microsoft-windows-10-end-support-date

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Thank you for that update!! Windows 11 sounds exciting but I love Windows 10. But we'll see what Microsoft has in store for us in the near Future. I can't imagine Windows getting any better than Microsoft Windows 10!😳🙃

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

I’ve been pretty happy with Win 10  and thought Microsoft said it’ll be the “last Windows version” LOL. I hope Win 11 doesn’t become the new Vista :fingers_crossed: (crossing fingers).

Also hoping Microsoft opens up their existing Win 11 hardware requirements to include computers with Intel 7th gen CPU so at least 1 of my computers can use Win 11. I bought that laptop in 2017 and looks like it has the TPM 2.0 module.  

Otherwise Win 11 will have to wait awhile until it’s time for a new computer…

--Patrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I’ve been pretty happy with Win 10  and thought Microsoft said it’ll be the “last Windows version” LOL. I hope Win 11 doesn’t become the new Vista :fingers_crossed: (crossing fingers).

Also hoping Microsoft opens up their existing Win 11 hardware requirements to include computers with Intel 7th gen CPU so at least 1 of my computers can use Win 11. I bought that laptop in 2017 and looks like it has the TPM 2.0 module.  

Otherwise Win 11 will have to wait awhile until it’s time for a new computer…

--Patrick

Same here as my Alienware 17R2 i7 4th Gen CPU doesn’t have any TPM in my BIOS so that will stay on Win 10 unless things change. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4980HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz  

Userlevel 7

I can’t run Win 11. Both of my Windows computers are too old. :disappointed:

BUT I have a Mac that will be able to run macOS Monterey. :sunglasses::heart_eyes:

Userlevel 5

My oldest everyday computer at home office/lab is a Ryzen 5 1600. It meets all the requirements but for the CPU. I doubt I would change that out. Thus, if I get 4 more years out of it under Windows 10 I’m okay with that. At that point, if it is still working, I will find some use for it that is appropriate.

I also have a Ryzen 5 Pro 2400GE micro PC that is also CPU limited for Windows 11.  It runs various communications tasks on my network that I was not able to offload into my Synology via Docker containers. Again, I shall see if it works in 4 years.  I’m not upset at the time table. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

My oldest everyday computer at home office/lab is a Ryzen 5 1600. It meets all the requirements but for the CPU. I doubt I would change that out. Thus, if I get 4 more years out of it under Windows 10 I’m okay with that. At that point, if it is still working, I will find some use for it that is appropriate.

I also have a Ryzen 5 Pro 2400GE micro PC that is also CPU limited for Windows 11.  It runs various communications tasks on my network that I was not able to offload into my Synology via Docker containers. Again, I shall see if it works in 4 years.  I’m not upset at the time table. 

The same with me, just the CPU lets this one down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Still on a 2nd gen I7 and as it still plays all the games I want including AAA. I have told the mrs I need to replace it soon but 2025 at least gives me a backstop lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

I don’t ever wanna leave windows 10. But I need patches….

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Same here 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I just did a test migration of one Windows 10 machine to Windows 11. I wish we couple stay on 10 as well.  😯

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wasn’t Windows 10 marketed as the last operating system that Microsoft would release? 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Wasn’t Windows 10 marketed as the last operating system that Microsoft would release? 🤣

I wondered that. I thought I had recalled them saying it as well. Does that mean Windows 11 is not an operating system?

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

On Windows 11 on one machine. Will someone explain to my why EVERY system that makes a new “major release” thinks it’s necessary to completely move and change all system controls?  

Even Tesla did a major UI change on their last release, moving the location of major controls and switches. I had to pull over to find out where some of the controls had moved to. 

I guess the rule is, if it ain’t broke, change it until it is. 

😔

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

On Windows 11 on one machine. Will someone explain to my why EVERY system that makes a new “major release” thinks it’s necessary to completely move and change all system controls?  

Even Tesla did a major UI change on their last release, moving the location of major controls and switches. I had to pull over to find out where some of the controls had moved to. 

😔

Does very much seem to be the case. My biggest gripe with both Windows 10 and 11, is that the Settings section (supposedly there to replace Control Panel) is simply not up to requirements for tech support (at least in my experience), and every time I somehow end up taking myself over to control panel instead - why after all this time is this still a thing? Either beef up / refresh control panel or sort out settings so you can do everything in there that you can do in control panel!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The main suppliers only ship new devices with Windows 11. This is apparently a contractual obligation with Microsoft. This causes a lot of work for us as a support party for our customers. Not to mention all the questions end users have because the interface has been turned upside down again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

😔

Love that last line!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

😔

Does very much seem to be the case. My biggest gripe with both Windows 10 and 11, is that the Settings section (supposedly there to replace Control Panel) is simply not up to requirements for tech support (at least in my experience), and every time I somehow end up taking myself over to control panel instead - why after all this time is this still a thing? Either beef up / refresh control panel or sort out settings so you can do everything in there that you can do in control panel!

I couldn’t agree more. I have tried using “Settings” and always end up back in Control Panel. It could be my old habits, but I just feel like Settings never has everything I need easily accessible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes I mention this every time I talk about windows 11. Everyone laughs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The main suppliers only ship new devices with Windows 11. This is apparently a contractual obligation with Microsoft. This causes a lot of work for us as a support party for our customers. Not to mention all the questions end users have because the interface has been turned upside down again.

I remember back in the days all the new machines shipping with Vista and having to downgrade them to XP as thats what our customers wanted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I remember back in the days all the new machines shipping with Vista and having to downgrade them to XP as thats what our customers wanted. 

Yes, some awkward conversations were had!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I and the same thing with Windows 8 back to Windows 7. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve been using Windows 11 for about 3 months now and don’t hate it. There are some things I don’t like: Seems like every new version of Windows makes Control Panel harder to find and use.

The most annoying part is not being able to right-click the taskbar for task manager. ugh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

The most annoying part is not being able to right-click the taskbar for task manager. ugh.

Damn, I did not know that. I have not had to bring it up yet. Why would they remove that functionality? What good reason can they give for removing something that has been in Windows for what, 5 major releases now?  Stupid. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’d also like to know their logic behind how Windows 11 navigates (or doesn’t in my opinion!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I’d also like to know their logic behind how Windows 11 navigates (or doesn’t in my opinion!)

Describe what you mean by “navigates”, a I am not sure I understand here.