Microsoft to ship Windows 8.1 in 'late August'

• 8 July 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
WPC 2013 The Windows 8.1 Preview is barely two weeks old, but Microsoft's Windows boss Tami Reller says the final version of the update will be ready to ship to manufacturers in just a few more weeks' time.
Speaking at Redmond's annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) in Houston, Texas on Monday, Reller announced that the RTM version of Windows 8.1 would be made available to Microsoft's OEM partners in "late August."

That release schedule should give OEMs plenty of opportunity to ready devices to ship with Windows 8.1 preinstalled in time for the holidays, Reller said.
Microsoft made the Windows 8.1 Preview available as a free download during its annual Build conference, which took place from June 26 to 28 in San Francisco. If the final version ships in August, the update will be no more than nine weeks old by the time it's released to manufacturing.

Full Story - http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2013/07/08/windows_8_1_rtm_in_august/

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I had XP and was wanting to wait until 7 was released but my previous computer had other ideas so I had to get Vista and did not like it all but I got myself the Windows 7 DVD and when I installed I took to it immediately and personally I did not find it too dissimilar to XP but I may be in the minority there. But Windows 8 there is a huge change and I think it may have been better to have an option to either have the tiled version or the classic, that may have gone down better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have a feeling that Win 7 is the next XP users are not going to upgrade to Win 8 until they see something they like XP users are having a hard time accepting Win 7 never mind Win 8.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Those are exactly my thoughts about it. I have heard nothing at all that stirs my interest in upgrading, I am happy with Windows 7 and I do not see a need to change.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Jeff but Microsoft is going to have to do more if they want more users to upgrade to the Final 8.1 or Windows 8 for that matter IMHO?

But in most cases if you buy a new PC or Laptop you have no choice. :(

Daniel