MIDI turns 30: a revolutionary open music standard lives on

• 28 January 2013
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Who ever thought that it would still be relevant in today's world?
The list of digital technologies that have remained in use for a decade or more is a short one. MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface), the universal standard for communication between electronic instruments — which debuted at NAMM in 1983 — has gone unchanged for 30 years. Introduced to the public the same year Microsoft released Windows 1.0, MIDI belongs to a Paleolithic era of computer interface design. Nevertheless, it’s still used in every major recording studio, by almost every electronic musician working today, and aspects of its design have directly influenced the evolution of several musical genres. 
Read more: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/28/3923488/midi-turns-30-revolutionary-open-music-standard-lives-on

Do you still find yourself using MIDI in your world?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
As i am a self taught keyboard/organ player,i still find myself using midi on a regular basis while playing around.I did not realize that it was now 30 years old.My how time flies.
Userlevel 7
Midi has allowed me to pretend I'm a talented musician for about the last 15 years or so. It has also caused me to lose my mind more than once when trying to configure together 6 - 12 different devices to work at once. It's a love-hate relationship.