More Meaningful Rewards

• 21 January 2013
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
Not to be snide, but if you're going to implement a VIP program, the rewards should be a little more meaningful, like maybe a free renewal license, etc.

By the way, where's my sticker?   :D

*edit - already a topic named the same thing, so renamed for better searchability

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As Anna's post indicates, you do get an additional year of Webroot free at the Sr. Expert Advisor level. You also get a personal discount code for you to share with friends at the Frequent Voice level, which you now quality for!

I'm sorry that you didn't think the rewards were meaningful. We tried to provide a good mixture of Webroot.gifts and moderator permissions.

Lastly, no worries. Anna will reach out to you today regarding your sticker. 
Userlevel 6
Well, you need to do an awful lot of posting to qualify as a Senior Expert Advisor.  I think TH is only an Expert Advisor, and he is a legend on this site.  Personally, I think TH should at least be given a company car (Lexus or Mercedes) for all the work he does for Webroot.   ;)

I'll anxiously await my sticker.  I'm movin on up!  :D   Now, I'll have to figure out where I'm going to stick it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well, you need to do an awful lot of posting to qualify as a Senior Expert Advisor.  I think TH is only an Expert Advisor, and he is a legend on this site.  Personally, I think TH should at least be given a company car (Lexus or Mercedes) for all the work he does for Webroot.   ;)

I'll anxiously await my sticker.  I'm movin on up!  :D   Now, I'll have to figure out where I'm going to stick it!
That's nice of you to say but I'm only here to help users of the Community Voluntarily as I do on many other Security Forums that's what means the most to me and keeps me happy! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 6
Such modesty, TH.  Don't forget to collect your Embroidered Polo Shirt!  Not quite minimum wage, but I suppose it will have to do.   ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Such modesty, TH.  Don't forget to collect your Embroidered Polo Shirt!  Not quite minimum wage, but I suppose it will have to do.   ;)

Oh I will but a (Lexus or Mercedes) is alittle much but maybe not? :D

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
I wish we could give out cars as a part of the VIP program! Maybe someday... ;) In the meantime, I would like to send you your stickers - please check your inbox as I've posted a message there for you.

Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Akim, thanks, but I really have no need for a Webroot sticker.  That's my whole point!   If you're going to implement this kind of program, it should offer decent incentives.  I've moderated large sites and I know the work involved as well as the benefits bestowed on these sites as a result of that effort.  An embroidered polo shirt for an Expert Advisor just doesn't cut it.  It's almost insulting, imho!

Sorry for being so direct.  I'm sure there are others who will flame me and strongly disagree with me about this, but that's OK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Ouch! That one hurt!

But on a serious note, the stickers have actually been really popular at events, with employees, etc. so we wanted to share the love with our VIPs. We definitely appreciate all your efforts on the Community and will continue to think of the best ways to reward folks.

And in the meantime, we’ll keep your sticker right here in case you ever change your mind. :D
Userlevel 7
I will gladly take the stickers for those that choose to pass them up ;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm sure there are others who will flame me and strongly disagree with me about this, but that's OK.
Surely not, it's your full right to say what you think about the VIP program. While I don't share your standpoint I like your straightforward approach, i.e. say what you think even though it wouldn't be welcomed or popular or even causing a havoc in certain degree. I am of the same nature and if needed I say it plainly what some moderators here on the Community know well but they also know that I am doing it always for the good of WSA 😉
Userlevel 6
Pegas, thank you for that!  You're response was unexpected.

Akim, please give my sticker to DavidP.  😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Will do! :D
Userlevel 6
Akim, I feel I owe you at least an explanation, if not an apology, because it seems I've offended you.  Let me explain.

I have moderated large websites and spent a lot of uncompensated time doing so.  I did it for years.  The websites benefited measurably from my efforts ... I did not, other than the satisfaction of knowing that I helped others.  The owners of those websites exploited the moderators.  While the website owners benefited substantially from the uncompensated efforts of the moderators, they did not reciprocate.  This is not to say that I was expecting anything ... I was not.  But in all fairness, it should have happened. Consequently, I resigned my positions as moderator.

Admittedly, I am sensitive about this issue and it has, unfortunately, spilled over to Webroot.  I am in no position to make a judgment about how fairly Webroot treats its moderators, or its major contritutors, because I do not know all of the arrangements made with those folks, financial or otherwise.

I do feel, however, that any company that benefits significantly from the efforts of its uncompensated moderators or its major contributors has a moral obligation to reciprocate, in a substantial way.  This is particularly true if there is a demonstration that the efforts of the uncompensated moderators or major contributors manifests itself in the form of increased sales.

I trust this clarifies my intentions.

I hope you accept this explanation.  if you are not so inclined, then please treat it as an apology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
No worries, I do appreciate your feedback and can understand where you're coming from on this. Thanks for the explanation/apology.
Userlevel 6
BTW, I didn't mean to suggest that meaningful incentives should be limited only to major contributors.  They should apply across the board, to mods and employees.  I'm a great believer in big incentive rewards ... nothing motivates better and, invariably, it pays off.