Mozilla to improve password manager in Firefox 32

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Martin Brinkmann on May 26, 2014

When I started to use Firefox many years ago I used the built-in password manager for some time before I switched to LastPass and then after a while to the -- in my opinion -- best password manager ever KeePass.
Firefox back then had no synchronization feature which meant that you had to copy profile data instead to synchronize passwords between different devices.

The Firefox password manager is comfortable to use, and if you set up a master password, protected from third-parties who try to access your passwords.

It is enabled by default and can save passwords in its database so that the login information can be filled out automatically.

While it does lack a lot of features of established password managers, password generation comes to mind among other things, it is sufficient for many use cases.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks, Jasper...interesting to see what they propose and implement in a bid to improve their offering.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well with all the hype at present about Passwords they are bound to be planning something like this and I would expect the other players in the game to follow suit as well.
Userlevel 7
Well, the Chrome password manager is actually very good for a built into browser one...and that is the one FF will have to out do.  Cannot see FF being able to provide something that rivals LastPass or WSA's Password Manager.
Userlevel 7
Thanks Jasper!
I'm also curious about the improvements they are going to propose :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I agree Baldrick, it will have to be something very special to outdo those 2.
Userlevel 7
Well it's about time. LastPass and others have paced miles ahead. FF should at least try to be on stand level.
Userlevel 4
Also see:
Chrome and Firefox both store your saved passwords in plain text. So how do you keep them safe?
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-secure-your-passwords-in-chrome-and-firefox/