My computer has really slowed down and I can hear it running in the background. Need advice please

• 13 October 2015
  • 7 replies

I have a Toshiba laptop.  Upgraded to Windows 10 when the new version came out.  My computer sounds like it is running all the time and I suspect that there is something in the background that is slowing it down but I have no idea where to look or how to identify it.  Hope you can help - thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi bizzinbee

There could be a number of factors involved so the first thing would be to check what is using your memory & CPU.  To do that right click on the task bar at the bottom of your screen and select 'Task Manager'. When the Task Manager opens please make sure that you are on the 'Processes' tab. Once there please do the following for each of the 'CPU' & 'Memory' columns:

1. Click on the column
2. Note the top 3 or 4 processes listed on the left hand side of the screen
3. Note the amount of memory / the CPU % (each in turn) consumed for each of the processes recorded in 2. above

If you would then post back that information together with the total amount of RAM/memory that you have on your system, hopefully that will give us one more thing to consider when trying to help you.

Additionally, it is possible that you have apps that you may not use or need all the time being started when Windows starts, and things like that. As a starting point please take a look at this article from the Microsoft Support site, which deals with optimising performance...it has some good tips therein that you may find useful.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Microsoft Edge (listed 3 times in task manager!)  cpu .6%  memory 61%mb
Task Manager cpu 4%  memory 10.9mb
Desktop Window Manager ..4%  memory 48.2mg

4GB Ram  3.89GB Usable
Intel(R) Cor(TM)  i3-3110M CPU@2.40 GHz 
Userlevel 7
Hi bizzibee

Well, nothing there that stands out as a likely culprit based on what you are advising...so I am wondering if you may just have an inordinate number of services running that may be sapping performance. The Microsoft-related article that I linked towards the end of my previous post may shed some light on where to look in relation to that.

The other thing that you can so is to look down the list of Background Process (usually the second grouping of files/apps under the WIndows 10 Task Manager), to see if you can spot either (i) something link to software you have installed but are not currently knowingly running or have recently closed or (ii) a files or app that looks suspicious...by that I mean that you are not aware of having installed it, etc.

? ? can you think of anything else or a different approach that may assist bizzibee in determining what ails the system?

Regards, Baldrick

In the Task Manager, Startup view there are a few things that say the Startup Impact is high.  Does this view mean that everything listed starts up automatically everytime I turn the computer on? 
Userlevel 7
Hello there, 

Yes.. everything listed that is marked Enabled (Or in older versions of Windows as a check mark next to it) will load up at computer start.  NOTE: There may be items that are not checked or are already disabled, make sure you look carefully.

CAUTION!!!  It is important that you do not disable items unless you know what they are.  If you have any problems identifying which items are safe to disable and which items are not, you may want to seek the assistance of a skilled computer technician.

I hope this helps,
How would i go about checking to see if I have a virus?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
How would i go about checking to see if I have a virus?
By running a scan. Please see: Running Scans     

If you have any questions get back to us.