Netflix Cracks Down on VPN and Proxy “Pirates”

• 4 January 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

By Ernesto  on January 3, 2015

Netflix is starting to block subscribers who access its service using VPN services and other tools that bypass geolocation restrictions. The changes, which may also affect legitimate users, have been requested by the movie studios who want full control over what people can see in their respective countries.
http://torrentfreak.com/images/netflix-logo.png
Due to complicated licensing agreements Netflix is only available in a few dozen countries, all of which have a different content library.
Some people bypass these content and access restrictions by using VPNs or other circumvention tools that change their geographical location. This makes it easy for people all around the world to pay for access to the U.S. version of Netflix, for example.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Ooooooooooooooooh...that is not going to please a lot of people.  Can see why they are doing it but still...does seem a bit dracoian.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
One comment on this I read that made a lot of sense, is that this will impact US servicepeople who are overseas.  Many of them reply on a VPN back to the US to be able to stream their content.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By David Murphy 4 Jan 2015 http://im.ziffdavisinternational.com/t/pcmag_uk/news/n/netflix-claims-its-not-blocking-vpns-right-now/netflix-claims-its-not-blocking-vpns-right-now_dya5.640.jpg 

Is Netflix cracking down on movie and TV buffs who use VPN services to bypass content restrictions for their geographical locations? It depends who you ask.
According to a new report from Torrentfreak, some VPN providers are alleging that Netflix is starting to mess with customers' connections. One noted that it received a reports from a number of users around mid-December or so regarding issues they were having connecting up to Netflix while on a VPN.
"This is a brand new development. A few weeks ago we received the first report from a handful of clients that Netflix blocked access due to VPN or proxy usage. This is the very first time I've ever heard Netflix displaying this type of error message to a VPN user," said TorGuard's Ben Van der Pelt in an interview with TorrentFreak.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
If I used there service that would cause me to cancel my sub with them.