Netsession Hidden Window

• 28 April 2016
  • 2 replies

When I close my computer, running windows xp, I often get the message that it needs to close Netsession Hidden Window. I also get messages that programs with indecipherable names - like A32S76... - need to close too. Is this malware? It's not being picked up by WRSA.
Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello johnmcd45,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I have done some research and I am not finding that much that can comfirm anything much.

I would Submit a Support Ticket which is free of charge with your Webroot subscription. They will look into this for you!

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 7
Hi johnmcd45

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I don't want to alarm you but a 'hidden window' should always be regarded with suspicion until proved otherwise, as it generally indicates hidden malware.

That is not a definitive view as this can be confused with a genuine netsession_win.exe file which as far as I know/can determine is a software component of the Akamai NetSession Client; that includes an executable file that launches the Akamai NetSession Interface. This is apparently a tool that offers faster and more reliable downloads. Would you know if you have ever downlaoded or installed such a utility?

Given the above I would strongly recommend that you Open a Support Ticket ASAP, so that the Support Team can investigate and either confrim nothing is untoward or if necessary remove any malware that may be on your system. The service is free to users with an active subscription.

Hope that helps? Please do let us know how this turns out for you.

Regards, Baldrick