New device lets you swap cameras, replace batteries and upgrade storage in one click

• 17 September 2013
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Victoria Woollaston wrote:

Rather than spending hundreds of pounds on a new handset each year, what if you could simply keep your phone but upgrade the camera, replace the display, increase storage and more in just one click? That's the idea behind Phonebloks.
Created by Dutch designer Dave Hakkens,  Phonebloks is a customisable smartphone made up of what's called 'modular elements', or blocks, that can be instantly swapped and replaced. 
If a battery dies, for example, a new one can be clipped into place.

Storage can be upgraded or cameras with different lenses an be swapped in and out depending on the occasion.
Hakkens designed the concept phone as a more environmentally friendly way of recycling smartphones, to prevent the trend of customers replacing handsets on a yearly basis.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/17/article-2423336-1BDF1466000005DC-978_306x327.jpg
 Read here.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
It seems like this is something hardware manufacturers would want to jump on due to the waste reduction and how this could increase consumer purchasing. If instead of buying a new $400 phone, I had the option to spend $50 on a new module that pops into an existing device and enhances my experience in the way I want, I'd most certainly go for the cheaper option. This seems like a great idea. Now if they can just get away from it looking like it's made out of grey legos, people will be more interested. 🙂