New processors are now blocked from receiving updates on old Windows

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

The promised update block is now in effect.

Peter Bright - 4/13/2017

We knew Microsoft was planning to block installation of Windows 7 and 8.1 updates on systems with Intel 7th Generation Core processors (more memorably known as Kaby Lake) and AMD Ryzen systems; we just weren't sure when. Now, the answer appears to be "this month." Users of new processors running old versions of Windows are reporting that their updates are being blocked. The block means that systems using these processors are no longer receiving security updates.

The new policy was announced in January of last year and revised slightly a couple of months later: Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors, and all new processors on an ongoing basis, would only be supported in Windows 10. Windows 7 and 8.1 would continue to support older processors, but their chip compatibility was frozen.

Full Article

10 replies

I really don't know why Microsoft couldn't have just waited the 30 months until Windows 7's end of extended support to do this. 😠
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I really don't know why Microsoft couldn't have just waited the 30 months until Windows 7's end of extended support to do this. :@
Wait until Microsoft starts playing with the Win 10 users. ROFLMHO

Thank you @ for telling me about the forbidden fruit! :D

Ha Ha, where did I see this pic before? (Jeff) :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I really don't know why Microsoft couldn't have just waited the 30 months until Windows 7's end of extended support to do this. :@

Well you are most welcome. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

I had to do a double take then, that must have been just after it was installed. It is my favourite thing in the garden.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well, they have to draw the line somewhere and at some time and have already redrawn it re. Win 7...so I suppose that from their point of view...enough is enough. :@
They could've mentioned that they were going to do this BEFORE the free upgrade to Windows 10 ended. If I recall, they originally announced this was going to happen just weeks after end of the free upgrade. A big F-you to those who didn't bend to their will and upgrade, imo, of course.;)

BD
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
A big F-you to those who didn't bend to their will and upgrade, imo, of course.;)
Yep, "What Goes Around ~ Comes Around" with their business tactics. I what to make sure I have front row seat to watch the train wreck in the near future. 😃 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
A big F-you to those who didn't bend to their will and upgrade, imo, of course.;)
Yep, "What Goes Around ~ Comes Around" with their business tactics. I what to make sure I have front row seat to watch the train wreck in the near future. 😃 :D
I suspect that you will be disapointed, DAve...as I cannot see a train wreck occuring anytime soon...Redmond are going from strength to strength now that idiot Balmer is no longer at the helm...and in the end Windows 7 will be sidelined whatever we all think...Windows 10 is the present and more importantly the future...period...whether we like it or not.

Just MHO, of course...;)

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Restriction supposed to apply to 7th generation chips

Apr 14, 2017 22:24 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa Starting this month, Microsoft is no longer shipping updates to Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs powered by seventh-generation processors like Intel’s Kaby Lake and AMD’s Ryzen, but it turns out that the company has also banned older processors by accident.

Systems running Windows 7 and 8.1 on AMD Carrizo chips are no longer getting updates either, and the software giant said in a statement that support for these configurations would continue to be provided.

“Starting with the April 2017 Cumulative Update release, devices with an AMD Carrizo DDR4 processor running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 might start to receive a message that the processor is not supported with those versions of Windows. Microsoft intends to continue to support Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with this processor and plans to address the issue causing the message in a future update,” Microsoft says.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Ooooopsie...well, I don't suppose anyone can be perfect all of the time...LOL :p