Solved

Nicehash killing applications I've explicitly whitelisted

• 23 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Long story short, I’m running nicehash, have whitelisted every possible application relevant to nicehash, and yet, webroot insists on destroying it randomly. It’s cost quite a bit of money already and I’m pretty damn close to just deleting webroot. 

Any workaround?

icon

Best answer by TylerM 1 July 2021, 15:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hey Trevorp,

I also use Nicehash daily and have worked for years in the Threat Research backend. 

Because of rampant malware leveraging miners to steal crypto in the form of power from users we will blacklist all miners. This includes every single miner that nicehash uses which is around 15 miners depending on GPU capability. Whitelisting overrides on each application will work, but as you’ve noticed it only works for a small amount of time (day or so) before Webroot detects another miner executable. This is because there are so many miner executables used in Nicehash and they are literally checked for updates every single time you launch nicehash and it’s only normal for one of those miners to have an update. Especially when they are trying to patch: abuse that criminals are leveraging on them and bugs that reduce profitability.

Since you are likely mining ETH (cuz that’s what everyone is mining for most amount of $) I would suggest going to the plugins tab of Nicehash and uninstalling all miners except NBMiner since that is the one used for DaggerHashimoto which everyone uses to mine ETH. This will absolutely increase your experience and only require you to whitelist override the one executable when its updated. I usually average about a week of uninterrupted mining before having to whitelist the new update of NBminer.

Hope this helps!

Hi Tyler, thanks for the reply. Yes I use the daggerhashimoto algo, so I’ll try that.