Not OK Google: Massive outage turns smart home kit utterly dumb

• 27 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I can just imagine the chaos as some people try to remember how to turn the lights on manually.

Desperate punters forced to twiddle their knobs manually for hours worldwide

By Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco 27 Jun 2018 

Red marks the not spot ... Downdetector.com's outage map today for Google HomeGoogle's entire Home infrastructure has suffered a serious outage, with millions of customers on Wednesday morning complaining that their smart devices have stopped working.

At the time of writing, the service is still down, and appears to have been knackered for at least the past 10 hours.

Full Article.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Afew months ago I was asked to consider writing a blog about how to make a smart home safe. I replied "make it dumb again."  The outage was the only significnt step Google ever took toward user privacy and then they "fixed" it. I knew it was too good to be true.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I love the phrase "make it dumb again." @
Personally I am sick of all the hype about smart this and smart that,  people will forget how to do simple things and a prime example of this is text speak in posts, e-mails etc.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Agreed @, but I am seriously eager for the smart clothes to come out.
http://randy-abrams.blogspot.com/2017/12/rfid-tags-in-clothing-what-could-go.html

Amusingly, I referenced the bl.ogt on LinkedIn and a day later someone from a company in China that makes RFID tags viewed my profile.