One Cause for Windows 10 1809 Upgrades Deleting User Files

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Written by myITforum Tech TipsTwitterFacebookGoogle+LinkedInRedditBufferEmailSkype UPDATE: As of Friday, October 5, 2018, Microsoft has now pulled Windows 10 1809 due to an overwhelming amount of reported bugs. See: Microsoft Removes Buggy Windows 10 1809 Upgrade
In a way, I guess you could say that Microsoft is delivering its next big FU (Feature Update) to customers this month.
As we reported yesterday, there’s a known bug where upgrading to Windows 10 1809 (October Update) will delete user files. Seriously.
There’s been much speculation about what’s causing this, and at least one culprit has been located. This particular issue is a GPO/registry value at:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/User Profiles/Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart 
This registry key needs to be Disabled or set to Not Configured before upgrading to Windows 10 1809.
If you’ve taken the upgrade plunge without addressing this issue, check out a post by Woody Leonard. He’s located a third-party application that should be able to retrieve your lost files.
Microsoft has yet to admit to this issue. It will be interesting to see what they say.
Bottom line here, though, is to wait for Microsoft to come clean and issue a fix. For now… it’s best to just stay clear away from this upgrade.

Article here

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I updated 5 machines and all went smoothly.  No lost files here.

The only issues that I have seen so far are some Decom errors but none that are a real problem and I have fixed most all of them.

Guess we will see if Microsoft comes out with another complete update or just a cumulative fix.
Good luck to all,
Dave
Hi Dave,
Long time, no see. Good to see you around. 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Written by myITforum Tech TipsTwitterFacebookGoogle+LinkedInRedditBufferEmailSkype UPDATE: As of Friday, October 5, 2018, Microsoft has now pulled Windows 10 1809 due to an overwhelming amount of reported bugs. See: Microsoft Removes Buggy Windows 10 1809 Upgrade
In a way, I guess you could say that Microsoft is delivering its next big FU (Feature Update) to customers this month.
As we reported yesterday, there’s a known bug where upgrading to Windows 10 1809 (October Update) will delete user files. Seriously.
There’s been much speculation about what’s causing this, and at least one culprit has been located. This particular issue is a GPO/registry value at:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/User Profiles/Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart 
This registry key needs to be Disabled or set to Not Configured before upgrading to Windows 10 1809.
If you’ve taken the upgrade plunge without addressing this issue, check out a post by Woody Leonard. He’s located a third-party application that should be able to retrieve your lost files.
Microsoft has yet to admit to this issue. It will be interesting to see what they say.
Bottom line here, though, is to wait for Microsoft to come clean and issue a fix. For now… it’s best to just stay clear away from this upgrade.

Article here
@

Sherry, FU has another meaning in Australia!  :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Dave!

I was wondering about you and how you were doing the other day. I am happy that you are still around!

That is great to hear that you have updated all those PCs without ann issue. :D Lucky you! eh?

Take care my friend!
Sherry

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Article here
@

Sherry, FU has another meaning in Australia!  :D
Yup Tarnak same here in the USA!:p:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Article here
Hi Sherry

Nice find...following the trail of crumbs back to the original Microsoft KB article I have checked, using, gpedit.misc, whether I have that setting...and on the tablet the answer is 'No'. Which would bear out the finding as so far I have not suffered the issue.0

EDIT: Have just checked my main system and no sign of the setting raised as a potential source of the issue. But will keep a weather eye open, nonetheless

Interestingly, that article identifies itself as being originally for Vista/Windows Server 2008...so am wondering if this is affecting users who may originally have had Vista on their systems, and since upgraded to Win10, via official upgrades rather than by clean installs, and hence have the setting remaining whilst those us with a system with Win7 or later from the start have so far not suffered the issue?

That does not explain why 'now' this has chosen to manifest itself given that since then those systems affected must have been rebooted many times.

But just wondering...for what it is worth.

Regards, Baldrick 

PS. have started to notice that there has ben effect on longevity of charge, so there is obviously something in the other reported issue on that subject. Hope they fix that soon..though it is way less bad than the deletion issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Article here
Hi Sherry

Nice find...following the trail of crumbs back to the original Microsoft KB article I have checked, using, gpedit.misc, whether I have that setting...and on the tablet the answer is 'No'. Which would bear out the finding as so far I have not suffered the issue.0

EDIT: Have just checked my main system and no sign of the setting raised as a potential source of the issue. But will keep a weather eye open, nonetheless

Interestingly, that article identifies itself as being originally for Vista/Windows Server 2008...so am wondering if this is affecting users who may originally have had Vista on their systems, and since upgraded to Win10, via official upgrades rather than by clean installs, and hence have the setting remaining whilst those us with a system with Win7 or later from the start have so far not suffered the issue?

That does not explain why 'now' this has chosen to manifest itself given that since then those systems affected must have been rebooted many times.

But just wondering...for what it is worth.

Regards, Baldrick 

PS. have started to notice that there has ben effect on longevity of charge, so there is obviously something in the other reported issue on that subject. Hope they fix that soon..though it is way less bad than the deletion issue.
Hi Baldrick,

I haven't done what this article has stated...yet..

I did read that the charge  (battery) has affected some systems with this update along with high CPU issues.  Answers.Microsoft users are very upset with the 1809 update. One poor girl said her computer is in a constant loop of repairing after the update upon booting up and she gets a blank screen for 3 days now. Sad..

Right now I'm going to wait for MS to release WU patches for all these issues. And then wait some more. :) 

Not sure what to say about Windows Vista or Windows Server systems.

I think some issues has to do with ones graphics card drivers. IMO... NVidia just released an update for the Windows v1809. ??? I've been doing a lot of reading the last two days but I haven't got anytime today to research more :(

Thank you Baldrick for your input. Its always valuable around here. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
If anyone lost there files you can call Microsoft: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-says-they-can-recover-files-deleted-by-windows-10-october-2018-update/

"Later in the day, the head of the Windows Insider program, Dona Sarkar,  announced that Microsoft tech support has the tools to recover the missing files. She further suggested that those users who were missing the files call Microsoft support at +1-800-MICROSOFT for assistance."

Also:
"According to numerous people who called the support number, the support agents told them that the bug was still under investigation, they were not aware of any tools, and that they would have to wait until the investigation in the bug was finished. To confirm, I also called Microsoft support and was told the same thing."

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
I see you started a thread on this subject but I did post this info here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tech-Talk/How-to-get-the-Windows-10-October-2018-Update-1809/m-p/330536#M14290
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
PLEASE READ:

Microsoft Says They Can Recover Files Deleted by Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Yesterday Microsoft pulled the Windows 10 October 2018 Update as some users were reporting that they were missing files after the update had finished.

Later in the day, the head of the Windows Insider program, Dona Sarkar,  announced that Microsoft tech support has the tools to recover the missing files. She further suggested that those users who were missing the files call Microsoft support at +1-800-MICROSOFT for assistance.

#WindowsInsiders If you've run into the "missing files after update" issue for 1809/October 2018 Fall update, please call our support line. They have the tools to get you back to a good state. This build is no longer available to download manually: https://t.co/Ce9WVILknp pic.twitter.com/fvisQi1c8g
— Dona Sarkar (@donasarkar) October 6, 2018

Unfortunately, it appears that the Microsoft tech support agents do not know about these tools.

Full Article.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I see you started a thread on this subject but I did post this info here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tech-Talk/How-to-get-the-Windows-10-October-2018-Update-1809/m-p/330536#M14290
Oh I'm really sorry about that Daniel. I can move this Thread to your Posting of this? Am I still able to move Threads? Haven't done it for a long time. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Oh I'm really sorry about that Daniel. I can move this Thread to your Posting of this? Am I still able to move Threads? Haven't done it for a long time. ;)
No that's fine as this is more open for issues.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
If anyone lost there files you can call Microsoft: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-says-they-can-recover-files-deleted-by-windows-10-october-2018-update/

"Later in the day, the head of the Windows Insider program, Dona Sarkar,  announced that Microsoft tech support has the tools to recover the missing files. She further suggested that those users who were missing the files call Microsoft support at +1-800-MICROSOFT for assistance."

Also:
"According to numerous people who called the support number, the support agents told them that the bug was still under investigation, they were not aware of any tools, and that they would have to wait until the investigation in the bug was finished. To confirm, I also called Microsoft support and was told the same thing."

@

I tried calling Microsoft, once, when I needed some assistance regarding my Surface Book laptop, and they were hopeless.  I took the laptop back to the store that I had purchased from, and they fixed the problem.

Plus, I was talking to someone in the Philippines, and their english accents are hard to understand.  So, never will I ring up the Australian support office of Microsoft ever again, since they they direct all calls to their Philippines call centre.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Microsoft’s Special Personal Files Recovery Tools is System Restore?

Posted 1 hour ago in Windows 10

https://myitforum.com/microsofts-special-personal-files-recovery-tools-is-system-restore/
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:

Microsoft’s Special Personal Files Recovery Tools is System Restore?

Posted 1 hour ago in Windows 10

https://myitforum.com/microsofts-special-personal-files-recovery-tools-is-system-restore/
Real cutting edge stuff there Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I had set a System Restore before the upgrade and it was wiped out. It wasn't even Automatic with that upgrade. I had 2 restore points and they were gone!

So rolling back was my best option. Very fortunate not to loose any files or hve any other issues. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Even though I did not loose any files or settings I did an image backup before the upgrade.

I have not changed my backup strategy since the last time (a long while ago) I mentioned it on the forum.
Full image backup on Friday and Differentials every evening in between fulls.  One image backup online and two offline copies.

Baldrick would be proud of me though, because I switched from Acronis to Macrium a while back and I have no regrets.
The best to all,
Dave
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Even though I did not loose any files or settings I did an image backup before the upgrade.

I have not changed my backup strategy since the last time (a long while ago) I mentioned it on the forum.
Full image backup on Friday and Differentials every evening in between fulls.  One image backup online and two offline copies.

Baldrick would be proud of me though, because I switched from Acronis to Macrium a while back and I have no regrets.
The best to all,
Dave
Hi Dave

Glad to see you around again...it has been a long time (but then again I am a fine one to talk...;)).

I would never be as presumptuous as to say I was proud of you...but I definitively applaud you, and I am glad to you have found the switch to beneficial. IMHO there is nothing out there that beats Macrium. May be a tad more expensive than some...but my goodness...a priceless application. :D

Hope that you will be sticking around now?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Microsoft surface books had display issues was that yours? Lots of yellowing and bleeding and other discoloration issues. I tried 3 surface books out and the displays were awful. The colors were so wrong... for them being a premium macbook competitor they fell way short,
Userlevel 7
This is what sold me on buying the  Surface Book, at the time:  "Milled from two solid blocks of magnesium, the Surface Book feels ...", plus the design.  But, I didn't rush in and buy straightaway. I read many reviews, before buying at the end of June 2016. - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/microsoft-surface-book-1306306/review Also, I compared it to the Apple product at the time, and it was a consideration, but in the end I went for the Surface Book. :)

As to the color issue, never been a problem. It was fine from the start on mine.
Userlevel 7
I'm a sucker for reviews!  ;)  I found another one, by a recent convert to a Surface Book 2 :  "The Surface Book 2 is everything the MacBook Pro should be: - https://char.gd/blog/2018/the-surface-book-2-is-everything-the-macbook-pro-should-be-and-then-some

P.S.  The review is quite extensive, so I will save it for later reading.