Opera Software founder launches Vivaldi, a new browser

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Help Net Security  April 6, 2016

After more than one year in public development and millions of downloads, Vivaldi today released the first major release of its desktop browser: Vivaldi 1.0.

The UI uses React and JavaScript, as well as Node.js. The core of the browser uses Chromium, ensuring pages render quickly and accurately.

“We share the same core code as Chrome (Chromium) but we are very different with handling the privacy of our users. First of all, our business model is not based on understanding a user’s online behavior and profiling our users to monetise that information. We have no intention of knowing what people do on the web. What we focus on to provide superior experience for anything our users choose to do online,” Jon von Tetzchner, CEO at Vivaldi, told Help Net Security.

Full Article

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
This sounds like a nice enough browser to check out since my curiousity has got the best if me. 😉
Userlevel 7
This has actually been in beta for a long time and when I looked at one of the early betas it showed promise...I too will be checking it out especially if there is a portable version. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
This has actually been in beta for a long time and when I looked at one of the early betas it showed promise...I too will be checking it out especially if there is a portable version. 
I don't think there is a portable version yet Baldrick.
https://vivaldi.com/download/
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks for the link Jasper!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
? This browser is pretty quick.;) I just installed it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well keep us all updated Sherry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Well keep us all updated Sherry.
Will do Jasper! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
This article provides some useful background information. It looks like a definite possibility if I ever migrate from Firefox.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I don't think there is a portable version yet Baldrick.
https://vivaldi.com/download/
Yes, I suspect that I will have to await the creation of one by Portableapps.com. :(
Userlevel 1
I'm always up for new/better browsers so I downloaded Vivaldi and installed it. Supposedly, it needs no add-ons because that's all built in. My experience caused me to uninstall it.

I do a lot of streaming of television from all over the world, so I have many adblock add-ons on both Firefox and Chrome. Rarely, I get a successful pop-under, but Webroot keeps me safe.

So my experiment was to use Firefox to successfully access a show, then used the exact same link with Vivaldi. All I got with Vivaldi was a naked girl.

To meet my needs, Vivaldi will need adblock add-ons.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
That is interesting ?, thank you for report on that. I have not tried it yet, I am just one of those people who find a browser they like and stick with it, FF for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Jasper! 

I find using this browser that it is really sleek & quick. It's faster probably because there are no browser add ons. I use it with Firefox and have both opened. There was a update to the Vivaldi the other day. I really do like this browser though. As I don't use it other tthen just browsing. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Hi Jasper! 

I find using this browser that it is really sleek & quick. It's faster probably because there are no browser add ons. I use it with Firefox and have both opened. There was a update to the Vivaldi the other day. I really do like this browser though. As I don't use it other tthen just browsing. ;)
Well I may be tempted to give a run to try it out however I have 24 or more tabs open regular and have no real slowdown or problems with any of them. My connection is not the fastest and it is at the end of the line sort of thing but it is almost constant with no big fluctuations and I think if there was I would be more tempted to give it a run.
Userlevel 7
It is just like Opera was in the beginning, but just with some innovative features not yet seen elsewhere...too early to say if it is ground breaking or ...just another browser based on Chromium.