PC Shutting Down when idle

• 24 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
My pc is shutting down everytime I walk away. I checked the power management and set both to NEVER, still not working

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi irishflag

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Well, have to say that is a strange one and I do not think that there is one fits all answer.

It could be a hardware issue, therefore you may be best contacting the manufacturer of your PC, letting them know what it is doing, & that you have checked and that its does not appear to be a power setting under Windows, etc.

Other than that there are a few other things that you could check such as your screen saver, if you use one. This is particularly a possibility if the the time period that in shuts down in is a relatively consistent amount of time. Normally, a screen saver should not turn the computer off, but even screen savers can have bugs in them. So worth a check.

It could also be a standby or hibernation issue. However, if that was the case then if it were either of these then you should be able to tell immediately when turning the computer back on.

If it resumes immediately then it went to standby. If you get a "resuming from hibernation" message then that is the answer.

that's pretty clear. Even if hibernation and standby are turned off, for a long time I ran into a problem where they would automatically turn themselves back on.

Finally, it could be a BIOS-rooted issue; there are power settings in the BIOS. Now, if yo are happy being a bit technical you could look to check out the power management options in the BIOS, and turn that functionality off in there, or perhaps change them.

However, we are now delving deeper into more technical aspects of the PC when thinking about thermal issues being a possible cause...for that you will need to get technical input if yo are not technically minded.

But if you are then you could try running a RAM diagnostic or try running the Task Manager to see if some application or one or more of the services is consuming a lot or all of your CPU resources prior to the machine shutting down. This would indicate a thermal issue, due to the PC being driven harder which in turn would cause higher CPU temperatures which might exceed the thermal cut off which in tern could shut the power off to protect the CPU from damage.

So, am afraid that there is nothing definitive I can suggest but hopefully I have provided some avenues of investigation for you to follow up on.

Good luck in finding out the cause.

Regards, Baldrick
Badge
Why is my PC suddenly shutting down when idle
Userlevel 7
Take a look at the answer in the post above. 😉