Petition: What Computer users want changed in Windows 10 (Very Important)

• 16 October 2015
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Petition: What Computer users want changed in Windows 10 (Very Important)

To effectively implement and use Windows 10 in our homes and businesses, Microsoft must make changes to both the operating system and the policies the company put in place to support the new OS. Those changes fall into two categories:

1) Microsoft must give Windows 10 users more control over when updates are installed. We need the ability to delay or hide damaging updates that impact the computing experience, have undesirable side effects such as blue screens of death, or reduce the functionality to attached devices. Under the current system of mandated updates, we have been adversely impacted by forced driver and firmware updates plus other patches; we've wasted hours dealing with the unwanted side effects. As long-time Windows users, we understand the need to have quicker and more agile security updating. But this agility should not introduce additional risks to our systems. Windows 10 updates have already caused loss of system functionality, video and display issues, and other significant issues.

2) Microsoft should provide detailed information on what's in each update -- along with what system changes we should see with each cumulative-update release. We applaud the cumulative-update model, but the lack of documentation doesn't let us to perform the due diligence required for safely deploying and maintaining Windows 10 systems in our organizations.

To sign Petition: https://www.change.org/p/satya-nadella-microsoft-what-computer-users-want-changed-in-windows-10?recruiter=55468344&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Daniel 😉

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Signed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for posting Daniel

And I will read all, and sign petition later when I get home, but I wonder what may be the likelihood that MS would both listen to, and potentially agree to implementing suggested changes. As the Scotsman said "I hae me doots". One can but ask, and I feel it's often overlooked by MS that the users are the customers, and do pay for the OS for which they have a license.  

I would have liked to add to the petition a request that Microsoft also should not seek to compel users to upgrade to W10, often in a questionable way, before they are fully accepting and agreeing to such an upgrade.  

Regards, 

Dermot  

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks for posting Daniel

And I will read all, and sign petition later when I get home, but I wonder what may be the likelihood that MS would both listen to, and potentially agree to implementing suggested changes. As the Scotsman said "I hae me doots". One can but ask, and I feel it's often overlooked by MS that the users are the customers, and do pay for the OS for which they have a license.  

I would have liked to add to the petition a request that Microsoft also should not seek to compel users to upgrade to W10, often in a questionable way, before they are fully accepting and agreeing to such an upgrade.  

Regards, 

Dermot  

Well fellow Consumer Security MVP Susan Bradley put up the Petition and she has allot of contacts and influence with Microsoft.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Signed and shared
@ wrote:

I totally agree @!

I had hidden the MS update to get rid of the toolbar notifications a couple of weeks ago.
Arrived home last night to see it back. :@

Also, if you go into WIndows update it appears as though you can't do anything (although you can) until you install the W10 update.

Very nefarious, if you ask me.

Signed and shared. 

Thanks @ for posting. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Actually, I am quite happy with Windows 10 as it is...strange perhaps...but I think that it grows on one and at present there is nothing that really needs changing.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
I signed it as it deals with the forced updates, and the lack of information on what the updates are 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
By Woody Leonhard
  "Without those changes, Windows 10 doesn't stand a chance in the corporate world, and it's severely hamstrung for individual users."   

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2994120/microsoft-windows/petition-asks-microsoft-to-fix-two-glaring-shortfalls-in-windows-10.html

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
By Woody Leonhard
  "Without those changes, Windows 10 doesn't stand a chance in the corporate world, and it's severely hamstrung for individual users."   

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2994120/microsoft-windows/petition-asks-microsoft-to-fix-two-glaring-shortfalls-in-windows-10.html

That is so very true.  Remember, just 15 to 18 months ago how many businesses were still on WIndows XP?  Those same businesses that finally upgraded to Win 7 will NEVER go Windows 10 for these reasons.  I know my past employer will not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
I too am happy with Windows 10, but would also like to choose which updates to install.
Userlevel 5
Thank you so much for posting this! Agreed, and signed &#x; !

~Tamela
Userlevel 5
? Hello, Baldrick! I really like Windows 10 too!! I do think that updates should be optional though, or at the very least ask and give consumers the choice and voice in the matter. People know their own systems very well, and may appreciate the option to decline when they sense (or technologically know) that an update may cause problems. Well....Microsoft rocks, but maybe they don't need to assume taking the reigns quite so forthrightly, lol.

~Tamela
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Have a peek at  @ Windows Secrets Lounge Forums at this thread. It is an available windows update show/hide tool called - Troubleshooting Pack Cabinet (.diagcab) Requires no install and can be executed whenever downloads are presented for re-start.Sounds like it may be very useful.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-driver-update

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@Have a peek at  @ Windows Secrets Lounge Forums at this thread. It is an available windows update show/hide tool called - Troubleshooting Pack Cabinet (.diagcab) Requires no install and can be executed whenever downloads are presented for re-start.Sounds like it may be very useful.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-driver-update

Interesting link!  It looks like the utility itself is published by Microsoft, not a third party, so I will probably load it up and give it a try at some point!

Thanks ?.

I'm going to try that out on my WIN 10 PC. Since Microsoft released this I don't know why they just don't add this feature to 10. 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
I don't expect that this is the answer we are all looking for to solve the problem, but will give it a try when I see a Re-start required for some software update that I'm not interested in adding!
Userlevel 7
Now why on earth would one not want to allow WIndows Update to update drivers...in all the world I would only dow driver updates one of two ways, either manually via the manufacturer's website and via WIndows Update. The ones through WU are solid as Microspft only gets them from reputable sites, i.e., the manufacturer's website rather than 3rd parties.

To me this sort of update is a complete no brainer and I am very glad that MS took the decision to do this and so give us an automated alternative to 3rd prty driver update software most of which is dodgy to say the least and the cause of misery to gulliable users who think or are led to believe that they are a magic bullet.

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
?  Hmmmm...coming from an expert, this does make me stop and think. Since sometimes people do encounter troubles with the update, I am wondering (in my uneducated way, please understand), if this has anything to do with all of the device synching that goes on? I ask this because I have never heard of updates being a problem, until more and more synching has become an option. If this is a possibility, then would withholding the option to manually choose updates be a nice option to avoid problems? Also, we took our computer in to Best Buy (Geek Squad) once, to have the system cleaned up (viruses, etc.). The new Windows system which they installed is questionable--it appears to nearly be a boot-leg type of thing. The notice that appears with each start, says our Windows program is not valid. Could this also cause troubles with automatic updates? Thank you for helping me on this one, and points well made, by the way :)

~Tamela
Userlevel 7
The only reason I might be interested is to delay automatic updates.  While ? is correct that Microsoft does usually do a good job, I have seen enough times that they made a mistake that I prefer to be able to vet driver updates before installing.  Just a personal preference on that 🙂
Userlevel 7
?, Most likely Geek Squad did the install, but they did not go through the full 'activation'.  What you see is a standard Windows notification.  All you should have to do is go ahead and click it, and then enter they WIndows Key Code.  The Key Code is usually on a sticker on the outside of the computer, though for some laptops you might find it under the battery (Just remove the battery and you will see it).

It is pretty normal for Geek Squad to install the software, but leave final activation up to the customer.
@ wrote:
Now why on earth would one not want to allow WIndows Update to update drivers...
______________________________________________________________________________________________

I've had drivers that Windows provided that have screwed things up on more than one occasion. It installed a SATA driver that caused my SSD to run at SATA II instead of SATA III and a USB controller driver that caused my USB 3.0 backup drive to disappear from my system all together. I've even had them "update" drivers that actually rolled-back newer, better drivers that I installed from the manufaturer to older, outdated drivers. No thank you. I'll take care of my own drivers and get them from the manufacturer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I agree!! I will take care of my own drivers. Windows update has messed up my video frivers and many other drivers through the years. I now always uncheck any hardware related updates. I have had to go into system restore in the ol days when I didn't know any better!:D
Userlevel 5
? Wow, thank you for explaining that! I actually thought maybe they were trying to cut costs and corners. So glad to hear this is not the case, and I will take the steps you recommended. Thank you again, David 🙂 !

~Tamela

P.S. System Restore--I still use that sometimes :D

Userlevel 7
Hi BD

Was that under Win 10 or prior?  I suspect prior and thatis why in prior version the Windows Update route has always been as 'Optional' updates as opposed to the 'Important' updates that they are now flagged as.

In fact, I had a couple of 'Optional' driver updates under Windows 7 which I did not apply before the upgrade to Windows 10, and now under Windows 10 they are not visible...so clearly Windows 10 has decided that they are notreally required.

Personally Windows Update, on this point, has never let me down adn I will continue to put my faith in this mechanism, and would recomemnd that non tehcnical users do they same as manually downloadiong and installing drivers (if indeed they are required) is not as simple as it sounds.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
 Baldrick states"

Personally Windows Update, on this point, has never let me down adn I will continue to put my faith in this mechanism, and would recomemnd that non tehcnical users do they same as manually downloadiong and installing drivers (if indeed they are required) is not as simple as it sounds.

That's so true..it can be totally frustrating looking for a driver and that's where people get into trouble while looking online having to install a Driver program that they pay for out of desperation.