Petition: What Computer users want changed in Windows 10 (Very Important)

• 16 October 2015
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Petition: What Computer users want changed in Windows 10 (Very Important)

To effectively implement and use Windows 10 in our homes and businesses, Microsoft must make changes to both the operating system and the policies the company put in place to support the new OS. Those changes fall into two categories:

1) Microsoft must give Windows 10 users more control over when updates are installed. We need the ability to delay or hide damaging updates that impact the computing experience, have undesirable side effects such as blue screens of death, or reduce the functionality to attached devices. Under the current system of mandated updates, we have been adversely impacted by forced driver and firmware updates plus other patches; we've wasted hours dealing with the unwanted side effects. As long-time Windows users, we understand the need to have quicker and more agile security updating. But this agility should not introduce additional risks to our systems. Windows 10 updates have already caused loss of system functionality, video and display issues, and other significant issues.

2) Microsoft should provide detailed information on what's in each update -- along with what system changes we should see with each cumulative-update release. We applaud the cumulative-update model, but the lack of documentation doesn't let us to perform the due diligence required for safely deploying and maintaining Windows 10 systems in our organizations.

To sign Petition: https://www.change.org/p/satya-nadella-microsoft-what-computer-users-want-changed-in-windows-10?recruiter=55468344&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Daniel 😉

34 replies

Userlevel 5
?

Hello, Baldrick!
I have a feeling, I most likely pushed your patience with my inquiries. Throughout this conversation, I am beginning to understand a tad bit more about drivers and updates. What exactly drivers are, I do not know, however I am understanding that these are much deeper in complexity and for the very average user such as myself, it would be to Window's advantage and mine both, to just simply do it for me and not worry of it. I suppose if I ever run into troubles after an update (which I may not recognize, as it is done without notice ), I know where to come for guidance 🙂 !

I really thank everyone for allowing me to enjoy and partake of this discussion. Despite your possible irritation, you were kind, and I actually came away a little educated in a round about way. Thank you and everyone again, and have a lovely day :cathappy:
 ~Tamela
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
?

A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware or devices. Without drivers, the hardware you connect to your computer—for example, a video card or a printer—won't work properly,

Does this help?;)
Userlevel 7
Hi Tamela

I am not sure why you would thinkthat as it is absoluetly not the case but in case I did do something to give yo that impression please accept my apologies for whatever it was...as it was not my intent.

And thanks to Sherry for stepping in with a reply. If you wish to learn more for a good source please take a look here...that should provide you with more than enough information, and possibily too much...;)

Regards, Baldrick

@ wrote:
Hi BD

Was that under Win 10 or prior?  I suspect prior...
Yes Baldrick, you are correct. It has happened to me with XP, Vista, and 7. If I remember correctly though, it wasn't WU that installed them but rather through the Device Manager that those drivers were delivered. I've had my updates set to only "Importatnt" updates since XP. I'm using WIN10 a lot more now and slowly coming around, but I still like WIN 7 better. (comfy slipper, indeed) :)

Userlevel 5
? Thank you so much, and it does help! Would driver updates ever cause a problem if Windows is synched in multiple devices (desk top, phone, tablet)? I realized I may have confused these synching issues with Windows upgrades (as opposed to updates--big difference, lol ). Thank you so much, Sherry, for taking your time to educate me a little more !

Tamela
Userlevel 5
? Thank you, Baldrick, for the additional information. I will enjoy grazing through that!--and No sir, you are lovely as always. Just making sure I had not caused irritation or offense by jumping in pretty ignorantly, lol !!
~Tamela
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ Thank you so much, and it does help! Would driver updates ever cause a problem if Windows is synched in multiple devises (desk top, phone, tablet)? I realized I may have confused these synching issues with Windows upgrades (as opposed to updates--big difference, lol ). Thank you so much, Sherry, for taking your time to educate me a little more !

Tamela
Hi Tamela67,

No this shouldn't cause a problem with the Drivers if syncing with your devices, Syncing is different.

Please have a look here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about-sync-settings-on-windows-10-devices
Userlevel 5
Thank you, Sherry! This was definitely helpful 🙂 !

~Tamela
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Tamela,

Oh and you are very welcome! I am happy that we all were helpful in this thread! Thank you for the opportunity to be able to answer these questions for you...;).