PHEW!

• 19 February 2016
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Phew! I'm back online!  :@

Had to put my laptop into the shop for a good clean etc as it was severely overheating. and it came back today after a full week and a half.  According to they've "cleaned and reseated the heatsink and fan" but have also reinstalled the operating system which (as you all know) has meant that I've now got none of the many programmes  I had installed on it!  :@  I've managed to install Chrome again but not Windows 7 and have lost all pictures, music, videos, documents etc.

I was glad to find that I've got all my favourites and saved passwords in Chrome but wondered if anyone can tell me if theres anyway I'll be able to get Windows stuff back; could they somehow be saved somewhere and will 'synch' once I install it?

Hopefully Linda!

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Will I have to change ALL my passwords for each site? It's looking that way at the moment!
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
HELP!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi LoopyLinda,

I am not sure what Webroot version you have but if you have Passeword Manager and Back up & Sync then you would have saved passwords in your online Account Console. Also with Backup & Sync you might have documents, pictures saved there..

Once your operating system is reinstalled I believe there isn't a way to recover anything since your drive would of been formatted. Maybe ? can share some light on the subject?
Userlevel 7
Well, it really depends of what was (i) sync'd and (ii) what was backed up. In theory, if you new installation is a mirror image of your previous one, i.e., you are usingt he same keycode & email address then you should be able to access the data backed up...I am not sure about data that was sync'd ratehr than backed up.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
...  :(  ...

I'm in a right messnow and I wish I'd never sent the flaming thing away for them to look at, they've left me in a hell of a state!

Got none of the programmes I downloaded together with the data, got no Microsoft Office or Adobe Reader holding very important official documents etc.  They have loaded Windows 7 with an Internet Explorer browser so was able to find Chrome and after searching for a while was able to get my WSA Antivirus back!  (Is it OK to accept your file extension? I've just seen the pop-up)

........  I'm getting a large grey padlock with a red slash through it icon flashing in the bottom right corner of the screen, any ideas what this is?   

When I do a Windows back-up does it back-up all programmes as well or just the data?  Done lots of back-ups but on same disk is this OK and can I still restore everything?

As you can see I'm NO good these days with techie stuff, need your help bad!
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Can anyone tell me which Microsoft Office I should download? Just need the basic stuff, Word, Excell, Powerpoint.

Having to use an Ethernet cable at the moment, can't connect otherwise, any advise?
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Hope that you are well.

The version you should downlaod depends on the license that you have. Take a look at this MS site relating to Office downlaods; you may be able to determine which one is the one that you have subscribed to/paid for.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
...  :(  ...

I'm in a right messnow and I wish I'd never sent the flaming thing away for them to look at, they've left me in a hell of a state!

Got none of the programmes I downloaded together with the data, got no Microsoft Office or Adobe Reader holding very important official documents etc.  They have loaded Windows 7 with an Internet Explorer browser so was able to find Chrome and after searching for a while was able to get my WSA Antivirus back!  (Is it OK to accept your file extension? I've just seen the pop-up)

........  I'm getting a large grey padlock with a red slash through it icon flashing in the bottom right corner of the screen, any ideas what this is?   

When I do a Windows back-up does it back-up all programmes as well or just the data?  Done lots of back-ups but on same disk is this OK and can I still restore everything?

As you can see I'm NO good these days with techie stuff, need your help bad!
Hi Linda

With regard to your earlier post above...I have to say that in reality the people you sent the device to and who worked on it should 'repair' the demage they have doen...and to be honest they sound like a rather disreputable outfit if the device went in for sorting out an overheating issue and has come back in the state that you describe.:(:@

In terms of the WIndows Backup I thin kthat it depends on what backup you are doing; I believe that you have to specify what you back up and if you have backed up your entire system drive (usually C: ), and that is where the programs and data were stored then you should be able to mount that back up as a virtual drive, browse it and then copy what is on it on to your current/real C: drive.

This link may help with more information on the above and this one with restoring files from a Windows backup.

Hope that is of some help?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Thanks for the concern Baldrick. Yes I must say they do seem to be a bit dodgy, I won't be dealing with them again, I'm on the phone at present waiting for someone to pick up from the techie team who have said that they can get my "bits and bobs" back again, so watch this space .....
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Keep us posted on developments and if you need to check anythng run it by us here in case we can offer some advice.

Regards, Baldrick