Just joined and PM spam, have deleted.
It was from mrsgracetekereXXXXXXhotmail.com

icon

Best answer by nic 2 June 2014, 19:07

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi David

Completely agree...as a matter of fact I had TWO PMs waiting for me...one spam and the other exactly as you described; a user genuinely wanting help...which I provided (of course...;)) so it would be sad if a minority bunch of sad persons closed that very legitimate channel.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah I don't think we'd have to go as far as the Spiceworks approach.  And as a caveat, we did allow new users to PM staff or moderators, in case they really needed help.  Hopefully the Lithium platform spam filter can start picking up PMs as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry about that - I've banned the account of the spammer.  If we start getting more of these then we'll figure out a way to block them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah when I worked at Spiceworks we had an epidemic of these so had to block new users from PMing until they'd leveled up.  On the plus side, every time you get hit by a new form of spam, it validates that your community is growing and becoming more prominent 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yeah when I worked at Spiceworks we had an epidemic of these so had to block new users from PMing until they'd leveled up.  On the plus side, every time you get hit by a new form of spam, it validates that your community is growing and becoming more prominent :)
Lets watch this, but I would hate to see you have to take that action here.  Several times I have had a new member PM me with a request for help instead of creating a post... some of the time simply because they were not able to figure out WHERE to post it.
I don't mind when that happens... I simply welcome them, provide a link to the correct forum for future use, and answer the question as well.  :)

If the PM Spam gets out of hand, well then it has to be done.....
Userlevel 7
She got me too.... 33 minutes ago I have a pair of em from her.

Thanks Nic for the quick action... you rock!
Userlevel 7
Yup, me too...finished work for the day and logged on...bingo...suggestive/digestive spam in my PM inbox...will need to be much more subtle than that to catch an ol' grumpy & humbug like me out...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_busted.gif

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ quotes:Several times I have had a new member PM me with a request for help instead of creating a post... some of the time simply because they were not able to figure out WHERE to post it. I don't mind when that happens... I simply welcome them, provide a link to the correct forum for future use, and answer the question as well.

Thats a good reply but it makes me nervous even to open the PM message thinking some sort of malware is attached to it and then I'm done!! So glad I don't have my emails posted to the WSA Forum anymore and a member here let me know my privacy was being displayed..Ugh:p Quickly fixed and tested that!
Userlevel 7
I should probably keep my mouth shut, but so far I have not received any PMs from this user.

This is kind of reminiscent of my old AOL days. There were bots roaming around that would send an IM only to users that were logged in (or using AIM).

What always gets me is the atrocious grammar and/or spelling in some of these things. Granted, we all make the occasional typo 😉 , but something tells me that this is someone doing their not-so-best to translate from one language to another.
Mrsgracetekere wrote: Hello just decided to know you better,do not be surprise. If it will be kind of you,may i know your wish at mrsgracetekere@hotmail.com So that i can send my pictures and more information about my self to you. Regard, Mrs Grace Tekere
:S No you may NOT know my wish... that's a rather private matter Mrs Grace 😉
Userlevel 6
:DSame here...came while I was out of town. I thought it was Daniel playing a joke on me but apparently not (this time).
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Triple A Team the Buffalo Bison's! The Official Site of The Buffalo Bisons | bisons.com Homepage

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Same here Nic will look after that!

Daniel

mrsgracetekere@hotmail.com

just decided to know you better,do not be surprise. If it will be kind of you,may i know your wish at mrsgracetekere@hotmail.com So that i can send my pictures and more information about my self to you.

Regard,

Mrs Grace Tekere.
Userlevel 4
It never ceases to amaze me that 'new-comers' from other countries try the same old stuff.
There are a number of 'fake' telephone calls here in the UK that are trying the old tricks.
I've noticed the 0800 prefix (free phone) being shown as 000800 so that if you just glance at caller display you might not notice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😛 She got me too I hit ignore and hope that works...Really it amazes me also how anyone could reply to such a googy request. Thought it was very strange andwas really to PM you @ :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😃 I was out and about and got this PM on my cell and couldn't wait to get home and look at this from the WSA site...Funny how I learn everyday.....like I'm going to reply to a MRS.? Thought maybe it was from a disgruntled wife or something..Ha LOL:S
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Just delete that PM I sent you @ I sent it before I saw this topic.
Yes as you may have all guessed she got me as well.
Userlevel 3
I received one from the same account.

mrsgracetekere@hotmail.comFrom: MrsgracetekereSent: ?06-02-2014 12:41 PM Add Mrsgracetekere to FriendsIgnore MrsgracetekereHello
just decided to know you better,do not be surprise. If it will be kind of you,may i know your wish at mrsgracetekere@hotmail.com So that i can send my pictures and more information about my self to you.

Regard,

Mrs Grace Tekere.

ReplyDelete Message 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
:DSame here...came while I was out of town. I thought it was Daniel playing a joke on me but apparently not (this time).
Yea sure blame it on me! LOL

Daniel 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
:DYou guys make my day!! RompinRaider and TripleHelix COMBO!:p
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hey Sherry you Roosters can't fly eh? But my Toronto Blue Jays are! :D

Go Jays Go!

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes they are in First Place...there Buffalos Parent Club if you know what that means!!! 🙂