Possible hacking

• 29 May 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry but I think I've posted a question in the wrong place, hope I don't break any ruled by re-posting.

I got an alert that my computer had been logged on to and was asked if this was me.  I've had a few of these that had been me but this one wasn't as I checked the IP address which turned out not to be mine although I've my suspicions who it could be as he lives a couple of doors away and stupidly I let him hook his mobile up to my line to access.giff Gaff to get a top-up, (I know, stupid!)   
Is there any way I can make sure it doesn't happen again? 

Linda

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
I got an alert that my computer had been logged on to and was asked if this was me.  I've had a few of these that had been me but this one wasn't as I checked the IP address which turned out not to be mine although I've my suspicions who it could be as he lives a couple of doors away and stupidly I let him hook his mobile up to my line to access.giff Gaff to get a top-up, (I know, stupid!)   
Is there any way I can make sure it doesn't happen again? 

Linda
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Hope that you are well?

If you are running Windows 8 or above then I believe that the only way that you can easily block the specific IP address that you have identified as suspicious is by looking at the options that you may have from your router and the associated management software that came with it.

You are in the UK I believe, and if you use BT, as I do, then I may be able to suggest something re. the router approach but let us know what version of Windows you are running first.

Perhaps ? or ? might have some alternative suggestions for you? ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi Baldrick!

I'm a bit wobbly but otherwise hunky dory thanks.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and with Virginmedia's cable service. Would it do much good to hide my wireless connection name?
Userlevel 7
Which of the Virgin Hubs (routers) do you use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
? I would call your ISP and do a factory reset of your Modem/Router and set it up again! Also someone can't hack your system unless they have active malware on your system to communicate with you as they can't bypass Windows Firewall and WSA would detect the malware. So check to make sure your Windows Firewall is on http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/windows-firewall-from-start-to-finish also do a full port check here is see if you have any open ports (Red Ones) Green is best and Blue is OK still! https://www.grc.com/shieldsup do both tests and let us know what comes up!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

This only tests the Firewall built into the Modem/Router it doesn't test your PC. To test your PC you would have to make changes in your Router called DMZ and I don't recommend unless one knows how to set it back afterwords!!

This is very Good!

This is good even though they are not all Green!

Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

If you have the Super Hub then you can go into the Advanced Settings for the device and block specific IP addresses. If you are sure that the IP address that you are worried about is always the same then you could try blocking it in the router...but if it is dynamically assigned, i.e, changes every time there is a connection then that will not be a sensible approach.

Let me know if you would like details of what to do in the Advanced Settings.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Thanks TripleHelix,
The Firewall IS on but I'm going to leave the rest of your suggestions for now and just keep an eye on things as I've had a lot of problems lately when my OS was re-installed without my permission and most of the drivers went etc. etc. my laptop is still playing up, I tend not to do anything to "rock the boat" in case anything else goes wrong! 😕