Printer offline - Scam Prevention

• 20 January 2016
  • 1 reply

Im having a problem with my pc not sending to my wireless printer. It says its offline.  I called HP support and they say that someone "infected" my computer. Webroot has been in service for almost a year and I just scanned it -- it says there are no threats.  HP wants to charge me money to "clean up" the computer.  I dont want to be avictim of  another scam, what should I do ?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Pepperdawgie

Welcome to the Webroot Community

For  printer issues such as this please take a look at this previous thread as it may provide a solution to the issue.

Also, it is possible that WSA is being 'over protective' and blockiing a key component of your printer, so please check on the the places within WSA where it can block or restrict an app or file, but where the user can if appropriate override the block/restriction.  These can be found as follows:

1. Click on gear/cog to the right of PC Security> Quarantine 
  2. Click on gear/cog to the right of Identity Protection> Protected Applications
  3. Click on gear/cog to the right of Utilities> System Control > Control Active Processes
 A more detailed set of guidance instructions can be found in this KB Article, which you should review and follow the instructions given/advice on the statuses available, etc.

Plus, there is one further area to check...:

1. Click on gear/cog to the right of PC Security> Block/Allow
and to which the rules in the KB article re. "Allow," "Protect/Monitor," or "Block/Deny" also apply.

The main thing to remember is do not change any setting to allow or unblock a file/app unless you are certain that it is safe to do so.  If you have any doubts then either come back here to seek advice or Open a Support Ticket  so that the professionals on the Support Team can investigate/assist.  Such a service is free to WSA users with a current/active subscription as opposed to a charged for service that HP are 'offering'.

Hope that helps?  Please let us know how things go.

Regards, Baldrick