Solved

Ransome wear

• 11 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have been infected in the past with Ransome wear. What do I do if this happens again and I am covered with Webroot?
icon

Best answer by Muddy7 12 January 2019, 00:10

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Peccpa1973

Welcome to the NEW Community Forums.

The answer is 'Yes'...but I would recommend that you have a read of all or just the relevant section in THIS recent PCMag Review of WRSA. It explains how & how well WRSA works in this area (and others).

Then, if you have any further questions please come back here to raise them and we will try to respond.

Regards, Baldrick
Also, to add to Baldrick's (and Neil Rubenking's) comments, do be aware that although Webroot is very effective at blocking ransomware and, in the extremely unlikely event that any ransomware does get through to your device(s), Webroot's "journaling and rollback" feature is also highly effective in unencrypting any encrypted files:
  • As Webroot is getting more on more on the radar of ransomware writers, a few ransomware authors are trying specifically to target that feature
  • So on the one hand, I do honestly believe that Webroot provides the best protection of the AV pack overall, and not only for ransomware but for all kinds of malware
  • But on the other, no AV is perfect and therefore it is always prudent to have a sound backup routine as a final line of defence
Hope that helps!
...and indeed I see, reading through to the end of NR's section on Ransomware, that Baldrick has chosen his link extremely well, as it illustrates, in a slightly different way, that Webroot, as good as it is, is not perfect. So layered protection: i) good AV protection (which imo Webroot provides with aplomb) and ii) a good backup routine