Regular Blue Screen on Windows 10 while browsing with Chrome

• 8 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Lately I’ve been experiencing a recurring problem. I’ll be browsing on Google Chrome using a Windows 10 Desktop computer when suddenly I get the Blue Screen and a no signal dialog. Sometimes the countdown begins and goes all the way to zero then my screen goes black. The Computer is still running though. I’ll turn the monitor back on and it does one of two things. Either it recycles to the Blue Screen again, or it may go back to normal view at the web page where the whole thing started. I’ve run Webroot scans and complete scans. I’ve even run other malware detection programs and Windows Defender scans, but nothing is detected. This is getting very annoying, as it is just a waste of time and eventually I get control back and normal viewing. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on? Any advice?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@silvanet ,

Blue screens can be tricky to troubleshoot since they can be either a software OR a hardware issue. There’s a few troubleshooting steps that I would recommend first and foremost:

1)  Find out what your motherboard model is and make sure that you update to the latest BIOS version available for that motherboard. There’s many articles online regarding how to do this

1. Update all of your video card drivers
  2. Back up all of your data and do a clean windows 10 install. This is often one of the quickest ways to make sure it’s not a software issue. If a fresh windows 10 install doesn’t solve it, it is most likely a firmware/hardware issue.

Blue screens are all about narrowing down the possible suspects. Hope these tips help.

-Keenan

​​​​​​​

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Thanks but that is the typical Microsoft response to everything - do a clean install. I’ll never do that because it means having to re-install everything. That’s a total cop-out. I’ll check the MOBO firmware though. I know I have an old graphics card since they’ve become so expensive.

Not really much help, but thanks anyway. I’ll try somebody over at Wireshark for ideas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’d look into updating as many drivers, checking firmware for updates, and updating BIOS. Those are the most common causes for blue screen.

In my experience, it’s usually been a BIOS update or video card driver.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Thanks, I also thought about the video card. I always regularly do driver updates and did check into the MoBo BIOS. I decided to buy a new graphics card. I’ll let you know how all this shakes out.