Remove GWX Notification for Windows Upgrade to Windows 10 for good

• 3 February 2016
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Webrooters!

This is for our members that don't want the Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, 8, 8.1. Here are two utilities to remove all the nagware and stop the Upgrade to Windows 10 for good both are very effective and I have installed them both on many friends and family's PC's that don't want Windows 10.

1. Stop GWX and GWXUX advertising! Microsoft program GWX (Get Windows 10) is really annoying. GWX takes a lot of computer resources and makes your PC work slowly. GWX Stopper is a free utility to disable GWX and the upgrade to Windows 10: http://greatis.com/blog/what-is-gwx-gwx-exe

2. GWX Control Panel can do more as it can remove the Windows 10 installer if it already downloaded it and stop it from nagging you for good: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Make sure to read the info from each venders website also there are video's to see how they work!

GWX Stopper Info and Video from the same link: http://greatis.com/blog/what-is-gwx-gwx-exe

GWX Control Panel Info and Video on page: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Never 10 made by Steve Gibson: :)

The elegance of this “Never 10” utility, is that it does not
install ANY software of its own. It simply and quickly
performs the required system editing for its user.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

"Note: Webroot is in no way responsible for using these Utilities so use them at your own pleasure and risk!"

Thanks,

Daniel 😉

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great information! Thanks Daniel!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thank you Sherry! Now we can send our members to this thread if they don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 and get rid of the annoying GWX notifications from the Taskbar! I know Dave ? is one of them! LOL

Thanks again,

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Totally agree! It's already bookmarked!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Great find Daniel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Personally I like Windows 10 and use it but some just don't want to install the upgrade and stay with Windows 7 and or Windows 8.1

Daniel 😉
Badge +8
I don't know why but when I went to notification icons in Control Panel and selected Windows 10 icon and toggled it to hide icon and hide notifications, that was it. No more notices on logging in.

I will admit that when I log out of Outlook mail, I have it rerouting to the MSN home page, they have a pop up on their page even though pop ups are blocked. I guess that doesn't include Windows 10 or Microsoft.:@

That's good info Daniel. I am sure it will let a lot of users sleep better!

Theresa
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Saw this picture on reddit yesterday and it gave me a chuckle:

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Now we can send our members to this thread if they don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 and get rid of the annoying GWX notifications from the Taskbar! I know Dave @ is one of them! LOL
Thanks for the links @. I don't know if I will be upgrading to Win 10. Maybe I would like it, I don't know. But the upgrade came at a time I didn't want to upgrade because I didn't want to take the chance of something screwing up. I have a lot of files and information now on the computers about the accident that happened last year (Doctors, Lawyer, Insurance, Hospital etc.). Colleen is in the process of settling now but I have a little ways to go before I settle the case. Everything is backed up with Webroot and on a external hard drive. Windows 10 just came at the wrong time for me and I don't like the way they are pushing it. After I settle the case I'll probably upgrade, but not until then. Too much $$$ involved.
Piece of advice for everyone. JUST DONT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. It is HORRIBLE!!! Not all companies have updated the drives to support Windows 10.

My Firefox browser keeps crashing for no reason. I have to keep clicking on the Firefox logo like 10 times just to open it.

iTunes completely crashes everytime you open it on Windows. Does not work at all.

Wifi has problems connecting to the router.

Audio doesnt work.

IT IS A MESS!!! And worst of all. I backed up everything from Windows 10 for 12 hours to downgrade to 7 again. Then when I installed 7 and tried to import everything from 10, it said there was nothing to import because it didnt back up ANYTHING!

UGH. Never again, ive had it with Windows and going back to Mac....TOO MANY BUGS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

Sorry to hear about all your issues with Windows 10. I have to say I have upgraded to W 10 on 2 computers and I have not had any trouble.
I do own a Mac though and have to admit I do love my Mac.

But we don't hear of many issues where people have upgraded very often and have had much trouble. At least not here on the Forum. I really enjoy W 10 and I do think Microsoft has got it right this time! And it'll be around for a long long time from what I hear. 

Userlevel 7
Have to second you on that, Sherry...have 2 WIndows systems both upgraded to Win 10, both of which occurred seemlessly and which have been running fine.

It is unfortunate that this is notthe caase for a very mall minority of the the users out there. :(

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I have to afree as well. There always will be some users who suffer a few problems because there are few people whose configurations are totally identical but I also have had a seamless transition from W8.1 to W10.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here is a new one made by Steve Gibson: ;)

Easily Control Automatic and Unwanted
Windows 7 & 8.1 Upgrading to Windows 10 Last Updated:
Size: 82kMar 28, 2016 at 16:49
(0.07 days ago)

The elegance of this “Never 10” utility, is that it does not
install ANY software of its own. It simply and quickly
performs the required system editing for its user.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I haven't visited his site in ages. .didn't realize he was still around. I used his programs alot in the real old days! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh yea he's been around for a long time! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes he certainly has been  ;)
Userlevel 7
The man is a star...a true stalwart of the online Community and I still regulalry check things on my local system by going over to the ShieldUp! site for a quick once over.

I am going to take a look at this and most likely give it a try...as my Daughter is happy with Win 7 but hates the reminders. ;)

Many thanks for sharing, Daniel...much appreciated.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
EDIT: WSA has just quarantined the download as being malicious/suspicious. I will submit the file the Support Team for review and hopefully for whitelisting. ;) ?

What the determination currently is as follows:

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Looks the ideal solution  and my sister's PC is an ideal candidate for it! It's just a shame that WR treats it as malicious. I have run it through Virus Total and 56 of the AVs show it as good and only the dubious TheHacker flags it. Hopefully WR will soon correct this false positive.

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
EDIT: WSA has just quarantined the download as being malicious/suspicious. I will submit the file the Support Team for review and hopefully for whitelisting. ;) @
This has been corrected. 

-Dan
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Dan! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Much obliged, Dan, for the prompt response on this one.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks Dan - much appreciated.

Nemo
Userlevel 6
Good post Daniel, for those not wishing to jump to the latest, and there are still many out there. I have two systems in the house, both of which were upgraded early in the game, and experienced some driver issues "lack of compatibility" which were corrected after the upgrade by waiting a little time, and then cleanly installing windows 10 on both machines. At this point in the game, many of those earlier compatibility issues have been resovled. 

I have found windows 10 to not only perform very well, but the iteration of the OS is the most secure by far. When users that test security in windows 10 need to disable its built in featues to do so accurately, this should tell all users something.