Removing Trovi

• 10 August 2014
  • 9 replies

Good afternoon,

I am trying to remove the trovi virus from my computer. Like a bonehead, I wasn't paying attention when I downloaded a PDF converter and now I'm stuck. I've googled and it looks like AdwCleaner is a popular choice for step 1. However, I've paid for webroot already and would rather use something I'm paying for as opposed to buying another service (and downloading something else to the compuer, which I'm now pretty leery of). Is there a way to do this with webroot? I've scanned multiple times, but trovi is still there.

Thanks!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application.) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attached... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't.

I hope this helps you both understand, and resolve the problem and if not please let us know!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Good afternoon,

I am trying to remove the trovi virus from my computer. Like a bonehead, I wasn't paying attention when I downloaded a PDF converter and now I'm stuck. I've googled and it looks like AdwCleaner is a popular choice for step 1. However, I've paid for webroot already and would rather use something I'm paying for as opposed to buying another service (and downloading something else to the compuer, which I'm now pretty leery of). Is there a way to do this with webroot? I've scanned multiple times, but trovi is still there.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum kit48!:D

We have alot of knowlegable Members here and it looks like TripleHelix has assisted here with your issues. As this trovi seems to be Trovi.comt that is a homepage hijacker also called Browser Hijacker, which is installed by browser extensions or addons.
Please follow TripleHelix advice in removing these bad Pups.

And do come back if you need additional advice for we are all Volunteers here that enjoy helping others.

Have a nice day considering!

Salute'
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Good afternoon,

Thanks!
Welcome to the community kit48, great to have you here! 

Just to add to the instructions and information from TripleHelix and Sherry concerning PUA's, Trovi is a browser hijacker as explained here. It changes the default home page and default search engine to trovi.com. Its used for advertizing and redirecting traffic to their page which ultimately brings their rating up. It is not a virus technically, but it does have some traits and abilities like a virus. 

If Webroot does not remove such PUA's (adware, BHO, PUP) via a manual scan, I persomnally prefer to remove them manually rather than downloading another program to do so.

Please let us know how things are and come back often and share your experiences!

Beth
I think you need a manual removal guide to remove trovi from your PC. I found this guide on the Internet: (URL Removed Pending Mod Review)
Hope this helps you!! Good luck!
Userlevel 7
Addy, 

Manual removal, even with a guide, is not the best option here, nor can we provide users details or links on how to do this.  The problem is simply that any mistakes made in removing malware or PUA's could result in bad undesireble consequences to the PC.  

Here on the Community, the best, safest option is to allow Support to do the job they are paid for.  It is free for us users, and this way you have a professional doing the work.
Userlevel 7
Just to add my two cents... this one is annoying!!  WSA has removed this PUA on my friendsPC times... and it still wants to be the default start page. Pesky...
if you are facing problems to remove trovi virus or get rid of trovi removal from your system so simply come the website and follow all instructions to resolve your trovi virus issues ~snip~
Userlevel 7
Hi alex123451

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I assume that you are trying to be helpful? But have you actually read what the link you have provided relates to? If not then please do before postiing further as basically it, in my humble opinion, refers to a scam, as evidenced by the following, supposed solution promoted by the site:

"In order to get rid of Trovi completely and restore your PC to earlier state, call us @ 1-888-xxx-xxxx. Our expert virus removal team will carefully delete all traces of Trovi and any other malware, leaving it cleaner and faster than ever before. Call us before your PC becomes irrecoverable".

Recommending that a user with the 'infection' calls a site so they can be conned into paying for removal should not be promoted, as the so called service is nothing more than a SCAM of the first order.

I will therefore say in no uncertain terms, that one SHOULD NOT FOLLOW what you are proposing as a potential solution, but rather do as the first responder has suggested which is to Open a Support Ticket  to get the Webroot Support Team to assist in any removel required; something that is a free of charge service to WSA users with an active subscription.

Please be more careful when providing advice here in this Community.

Regards, Baldrick
nice step