Researchers think they can triple your smartphone battery life but it won't happen soon

• 29 July 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
By John Callaham

A new research paper details the efforts of a team at Stanford University who are looking to create a lithium battery that, if successful, could lead to much longer battery life for smartphones and tablets, but it could take several years for that research to yield practical products.

The paper, published in the Nature Nanotechnology scientific journal, talks about how the team has created a way to use lithium in a battery's anode component, rather than the typical electrolyte section. This should should allow for those batteries to keep their charge up to three times the lenght of today's packs, which should please people who have to resort to external battery packs to extend their talk or data time.

Full Article.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That would be great news for electric cars too.
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on smartphone battery life.

(Forget fancy features -- most smartphone users just want better battery life)

By Wayne Williams / Posted on 8/6/2014

Smartphone makers would do well to take into account the results of a new poll from price comparison and switching service uSwitch.com which found that just 3 percent of Smartphone users are interested in quirky or unique features, such as Amazon’s Fire phone’s face tracking.
While gimmicks like that might help differentiate one device from another, what most smartphone users want is a phone that is easy to use and doesn’t require constant charging -- and preferably with built-in fingerprint scanning security.
The uSwitch.com survey was conducted online in July 2014 among 1,605 British mobile users on pay-monthly contracts. The top three most important features were listed as ease of use (20 percent), call reception (19 percent) and battery life (19 percent). 10 percent care most about apps.

The table below shows the responses to the question "If you were choosing a new smartphone, which of the following features would make you more likely to buy it"?
 More likely to buyNo differenceLess likely to buy
Long battery life89.2%10.8%0%
Fingerprint scanning security37.6%55.5%6.8%
Voice control26.1%68.9%5.1%
Eyeball tracking14.2%74.9%11%
Fingerprint-proof screen48.5%48.1%3.4%
Waterproof body67.2%32.3%0.5%
A zoom camera lens66.4%32.1%1.5%
3D display / graphics26.4%61.9%11.7%
Flexible phone17.7%62%20.2%
Projector32.3%54.5%13.3%
Mobile payment technology34.5%59.7%5.8%

betanews/ Full Article Here/ http://betanews.com/2014/08/06/forget-fancy-features-most-smartphone-users-just-want-better-battery-life/
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😃 Hello Antus67..

I'd be one of those consumers who would like better battery life fro a smart phone. My Android only stays charged for maybe 6-8 hrs depending on the usage!:8
Userlevel 7
I also  I agree with you and I'm sure everyone else would also. What is interesting .....the manufacturers of batteries produces batteries with a short storage capacity...stands to reason is all about money. If the produce a battery which for example could store a charge for a week or longer their sales and profits would diminish
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@Antus67 wrote:
I also  I agree with you and I'm sure everyone else would also. What is interesting .....the manufacturers of batteries produces batteries with a short storage capacity...stands to reason is all about money. If the produce a battery which for example could store a charge for a week or longer their sales and profits would diminish
Aww I see saids the blind man:@Antus67! I thought the manufactures were for the Consumers!! Silly me!
Userlevel 7
The Researchers are working for the manufactures. Everyone has to make a buck
Userlevel 7
@
Couldn't agree more.

And I'm also more interested in long battery life than any other features. The battery lives of smartphones, laptops and other devices these day suck!