Solved

Restore on an Apple Mac desktop?

• 14 January 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge +2
Is there a RESTORE feature on Mac desktops?
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 14 January 2019, 18:02

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello BobW. There is a way to return your Mac to the factory setting when you first bought the Mac. If you want a System Restore like on a PC to set it back to a specific date you will need to use Time Machine which is a program built into the Mac or use a Cloning Software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Any of these three need an external hard drive.

HTH,
Dave
Badge +2
So I cannot just go back to, say two days ago, like I could with a Windows computer.
Userlevel 7
When I bought my first Mac 2 years ago that was the first thing I was looking for "System Restore" like on a PC. Mac's are not set up like that. You need the software as mentioned and they have to be running. I keep Time Machine running all the time for the last two years so I can restore to any day / time two years back. Mac's are in a different world than PC.
Badge +2
Thank you very much for your kind assistance. Sounds like more investment than I am wiling to make at this point. How about the Cloud? Would I be able to recover lost files from there and reload, thus in effect restoring?
Userlevel 7
If you're using WSA Complete with Backup & Sync and backed your files up you should be able to get lost files. I have my WSA backup set for manual and back up every night which takes only a few minutes. I don't use the Sync part of WSA. iCloud is another place you can get lost files provided that you set up iCloud and have it on.
Badge +2
Thanks again, my friend!
Userlevel 7
Just a thought: Have you tried using Spotlight on the Mac just incase you have those files:
Command > Spacebar
Type in what the file was.
Badge +2
Guess I'm confused, then. What is the purpose of iCloud if I cannot use it to retrieve files which I have stored there in event of loss from my HD?
Userlevel 7
Hello BobW, Here is a good article and video on Mac and iCloud:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/15/tip-how-to-recover-deleted-files-from-icloud-on-your-mac-or-ios-device

HTH,
Dave