RIP, WebTV: Microsoft to shut down MSN TV on Sept. 30

• 7 July 2013
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Microsoft is pulling the plug on MSN TV, a service formerly known as WebTV, as Apple ramps up its set-top box efforts.
The pioneering service, one of the first to offer Internet access via television sets, will shut down September 30, Microsoft revealed in an e-mail to subscribers and an FAQ posted to its Web site. WebTV, which was founded by Web entrepreneur Steve Perlman in 1996, was acquired by Microsoft for $425 million in 1997.
WebTV offered television-based e-mail and Web browsing via wireless keyboards but struggled to gain traction with consumers. Microsoft rebranded the service as MSN TV in 2001 to accelerate integration with products such as MSN Messenger and MSN Hotmail.
The software giant even offered the interactive service for free to new MSN online service, but it has largely taken a backseat to the company's focus on the Xbox game console, which also offers Internet access.

Full Story - http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57592561-75/rip-webtv-microsoft-to-shut-down-msn-tv-on-sept-30/

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
WoW they are trimming allot of things these days. I have the new Office 2013 installed and it is a PITA because it wants you to hook up to there Cloud I just click no thanks. It's really no better than Office 2010.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
They do seem to be doing quite a bit of trimming but I am a bit surprised this has hung on for so long with all the competition.
I have Office 2007 and no requests for the cloud which is just great for me, as you know WSA is my first aquaintance with the cloud and I have not quite got mused to this yet 😃.
Userlevel 7
Looks like Microsoft is starting to downsize. I wondering if it's the economy doing this? :S
Thanks Daniel for the heads-up on (PITA) Office 2013, I'm running 2007. No need to upgrade yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
They do seem to be doing quite a bit of trimming but I am a bit surprised this has hung on for so long with all the competition.
I have Office 2007 and no requests for the cloud which is just great for me, as you know WSA is my first aquaintance with the cloud and I have not quite got mused to this yet 😃.
You will it's the future here now it's the only way to keep up with all the malware these days. http://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/products/endpoint/operational-risk/downloads that goes for home user endpoints also!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Looks like Microsoft is starting to downsize. I wondering if it's the economy doing this? :S
Thanks Daniel for the heads-up on (PITA) Office 2013, I'm running 2007. No need to upgrade yet.
At least you can turn it off but I like the 2010 the best of all and 2007 is next.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
At least you can turn it off but I like the 2010 the best of all and 2007 is next.

Daniel
I am quite content with the copy of 2010 that I have finally gotten around to obtaining.  It works great, has better features and compatibility than the 2007, and I also just do not need the hassles of the 2013 at this time.

🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Lots of new things in Office 2013.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
There sure is a lot of new things in Office 2013. As soon as I upgrade my XP computer I may have to look at Office 2013.
Office 2013 is NOT Compatible with Win. XP & Vista. 😞