Robot caregiver offers company and security to 94-year-old grandmother

Userlevel 6
Reuters July 8, 2014

A robot that monitors the health of elderly people living alone and allows them to have face-to-face conversations with relatives or doctors is being tested in Rome by 94-year-old Grandma Lea. The makers of the GiraffPlus system say their robot can cut medical costs and let its elderly users maintain their independence. Matthew Stock reports.

94-year-old great-grandmother Lea Mina Ralli chats to the personal robot carer she's dubbed 'Mr Robin'. Her android assistant lets Grandma Lea, as she's affectionately known, connect remotely with relatives and carers face-to-face, using a system similar to Skype. Mr Robin uses a network of sensors and an internet connection to navigate around Grandma Lea's Rome apartment. It continually monitors her movement, and collects and analyses data, such as blood pressure and heart rate, to keep track of her health. She says it's already become a reassuring presence in her life. (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) LEA MINA RALLI, ALSO KNOWN AS GRANDMA LEA, SAYING: "He keeps me company and helps me feel calm because if there is a need they can check on me or request a response from me. I have my remote control and pressing the green button I can take a call from them and the robot becomes alive and the person appears on the turning screen.'' Mr Robin, and 14 identical robots, are being trialled by pensioners across three European countries. They're part of the GiraffPlus project, an EU-funded project to provide robots to help care for the elderly. 

See the video and full story

0 replies

Be the first to reply!