SanDisk is making a 128GB MicroSD card

• 25 February 2014
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
We live in the future!
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2014/sandisk-introduces-worlds-highest-capacity-microsdxc-memory-card-at-128gb/

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!  That is nice.  I have a 64Gb SD in my tablet, to supplement the built in storage, and would love one of these as a replacement...but the question is whether the current hardware will support this capacity card.  I suspect that there will be limitations and that future hardware wil be OK but not all of the current crop of hardware.  And what about the price...$199.99 at Besy buy...so that means £199.99 here in the UK. :(

Thanks for posting, Nic ;)
Userlevel 7
Won't be long before 1Tb MicroSD will be available.

Who's in, 1.5 years, over / under?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah I think the article mentioned the handful of devices that can actually handle a 128GB format.  On the plus side, now that it is out more devices will need to have support for it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Won't be long before 1Tb MicroSD will be available.

Who's in, 1.5 years, over / under?
If I apply Moore's Law, that has doubling every 18 months, so I'll say it will take over 1.5 years 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Nice to know that guys....pricey stuff...128GB, 1TB eventually...hmmm I love to shop for gadgets
Userlevel 6
So you're saying I can toss my Comodore 64? :$
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I wish my Gnex had an SD card slot
Userlevel 7
Hi Remixed (your new title suits you...;) BTW)

I am looking at it from the other angle and worry about what they are going to try to put microSD Cards into...it just does not bear thinking about...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Personally I can't see needing that much, but then again when 1gb HDs first came out i thought the same thing...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Personally I can't see needing that much, but then again when 1gb HDs first came out i thought the same thing...
Yeah, requirements always go up.  I just read that Titanfall on PC is going to require 48GB!
Userlevel 5
doesn't surprise me at all, world of tanks installs would get ridiculously bloated after a few patch cycles, iirc I had it hit 70gb before I went for a fresh install.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
We'll it seems to me that some apps, programs need or use more space because of the availability of space..did I just that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
he he thank you ;-)

and I need a lot of space becuase i have my cat videos I need on the go LOL.
Userlevel 7
I remember my first laptop: the hard drive had a whopping 20Mb of storage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Didn't 1998 PC only have 8MB of HD?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
my first system had 2 x 20GB HDDs in RAID. and i was the first in my whole grade to have a computer with a cd burner. i made a LOT of money LOL
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Oh great...I put in a CD burner when they first came out. I couldn't wait to use it. Loved the floppy drives too
Userlevel 5
maybe in '88 by 98 they were significantly bigger
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I remember now the HD for my 98 computer was 20GBs
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The first floppy drive I had on the C64 was 170 kB 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sorry can you explain further about C64?
Userlevel 7
Ah the C64! I still have two at home including one that has the 5 1/4 floppy drive and a modem! What a device, hours watching my brother playing Jet Set Willy. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Sorry can you explain further about C64?
C64 = Commodore 64
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Interesting...thanks...TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes back then it was Commodore 64 http://oldcomputers.net/c64.html or Atari http://www.atari.com/history/computer-systems
LOL

Daniel