SanDisk is making a 128GB MicroSD card

• 25 February 2014
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
We live in the future!
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2014/sandisk-introduces-worlds-highest-capacity-microsdxc-memory-card-at-128gb/

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
:D

Userlevel 7
Ah the C64! I still have two at home including one that has the 5 1/4 floppy drive and a modem! What a device, hours watching my brother playing Jet Set Willy. 
Userlevel 7
My first computer was a Tandy Color Computer (CoCo) with a cassette tape drive.

It was amazing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
My first computer  IBM 086 :D
There were times ....
Userlevel 5
My 1st was a tandy 1000, mine was the fancy model w 2x 5.25 drives and a HHD 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
 Petrovic wrote;      My first computer  IBM 086 
There were times ....

Petrovic: Well I worked on the IBM punch card reader (479 bytes) when I was working with my Dad in my younger days. :D
Userlevel 7
Daniel, whilst we of course had those machines we in the UK also had our own home grown machines such as the BBC Computer, the Sinclair ZX81, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum that was the closest equivalent to the Commodore 64, and finally the Sinclair QL (which actually had a primative form of flash removable storage if my memory (no pun intended) does not fail me)

Like the machines you mentioned...a lot of people over here of my age (not saying how old :$) cut their programming teeth on this sort of kit...a happy memories, eh?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
So you're saying I can toss my Comodore 64? :$
Userlevel 5
Personally I can't see needing that much, but then again when 1gb HDs first came out i thought the same thing...
Userlevel 5
doesn't surprise me at all, world of tanks installs would get ridiculously bloated after a few patch cycles, iirc I had it hit 70gb before I went for a fresh install.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
he he thank you ;-)

and I need a lot of space becuase i have my cat videos I need on the go LOL.
Userlevel 7
I remember my first laptop: the hard drive had a whopping 20Mb of storage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The first floppy drive I had on the C64 was 170 kB 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Sorry can you explain further about C64?
C64 = Commodore 64
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Interesting...thanks...TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes back then it was Commodore 64 http://oldcomputers.net/c64.html or Atari http://www.atari.com/history/computer-systems
LOL

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
a happy memories, eh?
Very happy memories! :D
Userlevel 7
For those of us that started when the 5.25" floppies were in use, that is just about mindbogling.  
Userlevel 7
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!  That is nice.  I have a 64Gb SD in my tablet, to supplement the built in storage, and would love one of these as a replacement...but the question is whether the current hardware will support this capacity card.  I suspect that there will be limitations and that future hardware wil be OK but not all of the current crop of hardware.  And what about the price...$199.99 at Besy buy...so that means £199.99 here in the UK. :(

Thanks for posting, Nic ;)
Userlevel 7
Won't be long before 1Tb MicroSD will be available.

Who's in, 1.5 years, over / under?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah I think the article mentioned the handful of devices that can actually handle a 128GB format.  On the plus side, now that it is out more devices will need to have support for it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Won't be long before 1Tb MicroSD will be available.

Who's in, 1.5 years, over / under?
If I apply Moore's Law, that has doubling every 18 months, so I'll say it will take over 1.5 years 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Nice to know that guys....pricey stuff...128GB, 1TB eventually...hmmm I love to shop for gadgets
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I wish my Gnex had an SD card slot
Userlevel 7
Hi Remixed (your new title suits you...;) BTW)

I am looking at it from the other angle and worry about what they are going to try to put microSD Cards into...it just does not bear thinking about...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Baldrick