Say goodbye to MS-DOS command prompt

• 6 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

It had a good 36-year run, but its day is done

http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2016/12/ibm_pc_dos_1.0_screenshot-100697382-large.jpg

December 6, 2016 By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

My very first technology article, back in 1987, was about MS-DOS 3.30. Almost 30 years later, I’m still writing, but the last bit of MS-DOS, cmd.exe — the command prompt — is on its way out the door.

It’s quite possible that you have been using Microsoft Windows for years — decades, even — without realizing that there’s a direct line to Microsoft’s earliest operating system or that an MS-DOS underpinning has carried over from one Windows version to another — less extensive with every revision, but still there nonetheless. Now we’re about to say goodbye to all of that.
Interestingly, though, there was not always an MS-DOS from Microsoft, and it wasn’t even dubbed that at birth. The history is worth reviewing now that the end is nigh.

Full Article

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Very interesting bit of news...I loved using MS-DOS but it's time to let goof the past I quess and move on...kind of sad though...

Thanks Jasper!
Userlevel 7
I personally hated MS-DOS...it was a rough & rudimentary excuse for an 'interface' (in the very strict sense of the word) and was well glad when it could be completely ignored. I personally will not be sad to see it finally consigned to the IT 'rubbish heap'...LOL
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks for the article Jasper.  I like MS DOS but if it has to go than that's that.  I was using Powershell last night; it's a easy transition.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
5th January 2017 By Mahit Huilgol 

A while ago there was a rumor that MS-DOS had met its death and an article in a widely read publication was quoted as follows, “Say goodbye to the MS-DOS command prompt.” Needless to say, the news caught pace and was reported by most of the major publications. Furthermore, it also enticed a series of discussions on forums including Hacker News and Reddit. This lead several stakeholders send the email to Rich Turner from Microsoft asking if the rumors were true and that the Command Prompt had met its end.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Jasper...that's great news to me...:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks @ for the great news; appreciate it.