scroll locked can not type

• 29 March 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Once again my scroll is locked on my PC. On the icon page the icons get larger or smaller with the mouse scroll button,
I can use the mouse to click on icons and go to that page but if it requires a log on I can not type anythng. Very strange
things happen.  The search bar drops down with any key entered.
This is happening way too often.
Any one know of a fix?
I did try to restore to a previous update but that would not go back,
I tried to reset screen resolution as suggested previously but that had no effect.
I am now on a laptop to try to fin answers.
Using windows 10 freebie addition.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi linmark

Not sure that this will help but it is worth checking if only to discount the possibility: generally holding down the Ctrl key while using the mouse scroll wheel will zoom in & and out in many or most application, and certainly when using browsers.

Perhaps one of your Ctrl keys is stuck down (check both since there are usually two of them)?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Baldrick,
Yea, tried that too.
Even swiched the mouse out to see if that was the cause.
Not a computer wiz by any means but it seams to be a bug
in the system.

Thank you for your input.

Mark
Userlevel 7
OK, well assuming that you do not have a Scroll Lock specific button on your physical keybaord here is something else that you can try; use the On-Screen Keyboard in Windows.

To open the On-Screen Keyboard application (assuming that you are using one of Vista, 7, 8, or 10):

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu or bring you to the Start screen.
  2. Type "On-Screen Keyboard" and press 'Enter'.
  3. You should see a keyboard appear on your screen.
  4. Move your mouse over the Scroll Key (it should be in the group of keys in the block on the righthand side, marked as 'ScrLk') and click on that key to activate it or deactivate it if it is indeed on.
I hope that may do it.
Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 3
Baldrick,
I thought this might be a great work around. But, when this little bug rears it's ugly head, I have no
access to the key board.  I can hit keys but only sounds or incorrect things happen.

Thanks again for trying,

Mark

Userlevel 7
Hi Mark

Well, then...the only other thing that I can suggest is to uninstall the drivers for your keyboard and then let Windows reinstall them on a reboot, after you have tried using the Windows Harware Troubleshooter.

Please go to THIS Microsoft Support page for full details/guindace on how to proceed with this (assuming that you have not already tried this...;)) and then let us know whether that has resolved the issue or not.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Baldrick,

Went off to work.: ( when I returned home, imediately looked here for more answers.
Turned on the PC to try what you suggested and everything is back to normal.
Go figure. I'll never figure these new fangled things out.

Thank you again for being there with your kind support.
It is very much apreciated.

Will keep this info handy for the next time it happens.

Mark
Userlevel 7
Hi linmark

Firstly, you are most welcome. Secondly, glad to hear that the problem is resolved (at least for now). Yes, PC's are complex things and sometimes have a will of their own...which defy all best efforts to comprehend/deal with.

Hopefully this was just a transitory blip and all will be well from now on. ;)

Regards, Baldrick