should I download Reimage to repair Windows 10 damage? dmass

• 19 September 2015
  • 2 replies

Should I download Reimage to repair Windows 10 damage dmass

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi masseyd, welcome to the Webroot community,

From what I have read, ReImage PC Repair Online is a Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA).  It is usually an add-on that comes with other free software that you download and it is wrapped in the installation program.  It will indicate that it has found problems (whether they really exist or not) and then you have to pay for the full version if you want it to clean the system. 

In my opinion, you would be better off to run the existing Windows tools to try and fix the problem first and if that does not work you can do another Windows install to try and correct the problem(s).

Not knowing what the problems are It is hard to say, but it never hurts to run a System File Check https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833 and or DISM http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-repair-your-system-files-using-dism-and-sfc/1021b42a-09ff-41a0-a95a-48f3ee3ae699?auth=1   to try and fix the system issues.

Good Luck, and let us know if you need additional assistance,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Hi masseyd

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may add to what Dave has advised...I would take what PC Reimage with a huge pinch of salt, in that just because they are sayingt hat you have 'issues' does not mean that you actually do have any 'issues'.  Often these supposed System Repair & Maintenance utilities make out that what is a banal/trivial point is a drop dead issue and accumulate them to try and make out that you system is in dire need of work....and as is the case here, then offer the user the option to downlaod an pay for fixing that is not required.

What Dave has suggested will certainly advise on as to whether you have any Windows system issues (& try to fix them) but if I may also suggest that you also check your hard disk for error, as sometimes these application report dire potential disk failure issues which are not true. Running CHKDSK will check that all is well and look to fix any issues that may exist.

To see how to do so please see this Microsoft Support page for details.

The other area that these sorts of applicaitons love to highlight are Registry 'errors' which can be made to look severe; again...whilst in some cases some Registry issues are just that you would generally know about them without such softeware highlighting the 'issues'.  However, the majority do not cause an issues and Windows works very well despite them being present, etc.

Finally, I presume that Reinage is pestering you with popups advising that you have issues and that will conitnue until you remove the PUA from your system.  Unfortunately, one of the reasons that Reimage is viewed as a PUA is the way it 'hooks' into your system so if you if you feel or consider yourself technically proficient then you can try these steps to remove it from your system.

However, if that does not work or you do not feel technically capable then the best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket & ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for WSA license holder with an active subscription.

Anyway, as Dave has said you should try out what has been suggested here and come back to use with more information should you continue to have issues.

Regards, Baldrick