Silliest security application ever - DRM on Keurig coffee makers

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
Keurig is trying to lock down their coffee machines so that you can't use off-brand or refillable k-cups.  That's going to go over well:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/3/5465578/keurig-locking-down-coffee-makers-to-block-cheap-refills

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Are you kidding me? I just read the article...Unbelievable!
Userlevel 7
Looks like it's time to get the old "Mr. Coffee" Coffee maker out of storage. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
ProTruckDriver: that's hilarious but I'll never give up my Keurig!
Userlevel 5
from their point of view it makes complete sense the cups are the primary income stream for the company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Chris19delata saids; from their point of view it makes complete sense the cups are the primary income stream for the company.

Yes after pondering that after your reply I can understand you are right...it's strictly survival out here in this economy...
Userlevel 5
Basically it's the same business model amazon has w the kindle (which iirc is locked to their marketplace only), they keep costs low on the actual device to try to get more devices out there so there's a larger pool of people to make post purchase transactions apps/K-cups etc. In both Amazon and Keurig's case there's much less expense associated with managing a post purchase marketplace (in keurig's case all they have to do is license companies to make the K-Cups) than producing the primary product so their profit margin is significantly higher.
Userlevel 7
I do not like their idea. This is a very bad, short-sighted move for Keurig. It would not be hard for a different manufacturer to come up with a machine that will be "compatable" with the existing K-Cups and off-brand pods. Obviously it woudl not be a Keurig as that would violate who knows how many patents and licenses. However, a different system that is compatable would most likely eat away into Keurig's machine sales, thus taking away sales form both ends.

Keurig should leave well enough alone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well. Cohbraz. I like to hear all sides or opinions. Got me thinking.anyways
Userlevel 5
They could but there's a significant ammoung of $ that will have to go into R&D, production, marketing, distribution etc for the new product, there's a significant cost barrier to some other company just setting up a clone product (not to mention legal costs for the inevitable lawsuits) while I can see why it's unpopular I think from a business perspective ti makes a lot of sense for Keurig.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
They could but there's a significant ammoung of $ that will have to go into R&D, production, marketing, distribution etc for the new product, there's a significant cost barrier to some other company just setting up a clone product (not to mention legal costs for the inevitable lawsuits) while I can see why it's unpopular I think from a business perspective ti makes a lot of sense for Keurig.
I don't know. Folks will fight you over their favorite coffee! I think if someone likes a certain type of coffee, and Machine A (Keurig) will no longer make it, they will go buy new Machine B (competitor) which will make it for them.

Now I want a cup of coffee, darn it!
Userlevel 5
personally I never saw the kureig as a an attractive product, it didnt really do anything my french press didnt...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Now that s a good cup of coffe the French. Press!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Speaking of good coffee, has anyone tried this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
I had some once and it was amazing.  Absolutely no bitterness.  Still a bit hard to get over the origin of it 🙂
Userlevel 5
personally I don't like the fancy coffee I developed a taste for nasty disgusting crappy army coffee and actually prefer it random low end coffee to the fancy stuff
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Nic:  have you tried this one?Ganoderma is a genus of polypore mushrooms which grow on wood, 

brewed jamaica blue mountain? Its good too, 
and no I read your link of origin of Kopi_Luwak and I think I would rather have fungus and spores instaed.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Nic:  have you tried this one?Ganoderma is a genus of polypore mushrooms which grow on wood, 

brewed jamaica blue mountain? Its good too, 
and no I read your link of origin of Kopi_Luwak and I think I would rather have fungus and spores instaed.:D
Nope, never tried that, although I've had some other strange mushrooms 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I had some once and it was amazing.  Absolutely no bitterness.  Still a bit hard to get over the origin of it :)
So something eats coffee beans and poops them out, and then peopel pay up to $700/Kg?

Quick! Someone send me some coffee beans! I'll give you a better deal!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is as bad as renault making DRM on cars through making people lease the battery on a car they bought outright 😞
It look like history is repeating itself. Someone should remind Keurig of Sony's  Betamax. When they wouldn't compromise on that technology. The VCR put it out of business.

Userlevel 7
The real reason behind it is plain greed.  The brewers are, in my opinion, far over priced and the official K cup products even more so.  I have seen a generic, reusable K Cup compatible device that allows you to use your own material.. if memory servces correct Keurig attempted to block the sale of these and failed.

No other brewer on the market will accept ONLY their own proprietary brewing pods/cups etc without generic competition.

My own guess would be if we see them begin making all of the brewers DRM compatible we will soon see a new form of single cup brewer on the market.  The concept of a single cup brewer itself is not unique to them, I had one years ago before they become popular.  
Userlevel 5
People have silly minds.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I had some once and it was amazing.  Absolutely no bitterness.  Still a bit hard to get over the origin of it :)
I was going to try some of the coffee. I remember when I first heard about the coffee, I was watching The Bucket List . Morgan Freeman got his last laugh at Jack Nicholson when he found out how it was made near the end of the movie. I think I'll pass on the taste test on this one.

Userlevel 7
Civet Coffee!! 🙂  

Supposedly it tastes better than crap......   
Userlevel 7
Ah, David...but there is c@#p and then...there is c@#p.  I am sure that the coffee that I have sometimes when at work, on customer site, is probably not Civet Coffee...but as far as I am concerned it still tastes c@#p...;)