Solved

site alerts

• 9 February 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge +3
I keep getting alert for AOL site. Is this a real threat?
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 10 February 2019, 16:16

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi iqdial

Welcome to the NEW Community Forums.

When you say that you "keep getting alert for AOL site"are getting" can you advise as to whether this is when you are in a browser or not?

Also, what exactly does the message say & how/where is it presented?

A little more information will be of assistance to us to be able to assist you re. this.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Baldrick
Badge +3
I log in to aol and when the site comes up, a pop-up comes immediately and says " The security certificate for this site has been revoked. This site should not be trusted." Then it wants me to click a box marked "ok" or x out in the corner.
Is this a real alert?
Badge +3
Also does this mean I should not use aol anymore?

only seeing with Internet Explorer
YMMV
Userlevel 7
@iqdial you need to run a Ad Blocker on ALL Browsers when going on any AOL Website. I have email accounts on AOL (sorry to say) because I cannot change my email on some accounts I started there. I'm running Ad Block Plus on the Win 7 with IE and don't see the warning. Disable the Ad Blocker and I see the Warning. Install a good ad blocker. Look at the ads AdGuard picked up on AOL, 42 and it was still increasing. HTH

Userlevel 7
Would actually recommend uBlock Origin rather than AdBlock Plus, as the former is lighter running than the latter and so will have less impact on the system. But that said Dave is quite correct re. the need for an AdBlocker.

Baldrick
Chrome with uBlock Origin Disable'd = not seeing Security Alert.
Firefox with uBlock Origin Disable'd = not seeing Security Alert.
Edge with no content blocker = not seeing Security Alert.
Internet Explorer with Easy List & Easy Privacy = see Security Alert.
Internet Explorer with Easy List & Easy Privacy Disable'd = see Security Alert.
Note: IE not daily rider, long time. Not IE familiar.
IE Update Version 11.0.65 (KB4103768) May 2018.

Wonder what browser OP has Security Alert.
FWIW ~ YMMV

Should I trust this site?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17430/windows-internet-explorer-certificate-errors-faq?ocid=IE10_trustbadge_valid
I keep getting alert for AOL site. Is this a real threat?
Um, what browser do you see "alert for AOL site"?
Um, is this the "alert" you see?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17430/windows-internet-explorer-certificate-errors-faq?ocid=IE10_trustbadge_valid

Edit: not seeing Security Alert (now) in Internet Explorer w/wo content blocker.
While Internet Explorer may still work with some AOL products and services, it's no longer supported by Microsoft and can't be updated. Because of this, we recommend you download a supported browser for a more reliable and secure experience online.

https://help.aol.com/articles/message-the-security-certificate-has-expired-or-is-not-yet-valid