Slow scans

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

42 replies

Badge +1

Another update on my webroot, my webroot now scans around 5 / 6 minutes now total though still seems to eat up processor space, being that it runs still nearly 99% useage when running.

Ran a scan moments ago and no change for me. Time elapsed 11m 51s. Average CPU usage 25% to 29%.

Still showing v9.0.26.61
creakndale
Userlevel 5
Badge +16
There are a number of changes in the .26.61 build that may have an impact on performance, when coupled with older hardware. I expect this to be the contributing factor in this case.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16
HI @RRod,

I've pulled the case, and the logs from the XP machine. Have you ran the utility for the Windows 7 machine?

Lucas
Userlevel 2
Badge +11
Hi @TechToc ,

Unfortunately Lucas, my wife currently has the Win7 ThinkPad and will be staying with her family out of town for another week. I returned home early after the 4th due to work commitments.

I'll try to ask her to pull logs but she may be reluctant due to being "less" than non-tech savvy (if such a level is even possible). As a non-smartphone person in her early-sixties, she always worries about messing something up, especially when she's away from home w/o me there physically to help.

I will pull logs from the Win7 ThinkPad upon her return in the worst case senario.

BTW, Is there any way to go back to V9.0.24.49 for the time being w/o being auto-updated?

Our Win10 ThinkPad is unaffected .... Thanks for your investigation and help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16
@RRod there is a method for rolling back. I can provide that information in the support case once I see your reply.

Thanks,
Lucas
Userlevel 2
Badge +11
@TechToc .... Thanks! Support reply just sent. RRod
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
My computer has been running slow and tonight froze and was almost crippled. I checked task manager and my cpu was running at 100%. I have shutdown webroot and my pc is back to normal. There is a problem with the latest version with slow scan speeds and excessive cpu usage. Feel fobbed off as support say there is no problem with the latest update.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
I did reinstall the older version and it worked fine but reupdated to the latest version again. Will the new version be resolved or should I go back to the older version V9.024.49 again. Just concerned about using the old version and protection. Will the old version always remain working?
Badge +1
Hi,
I have also been experiencing slow scans probably for the past 7 to 10 days. I'm guessing it has to do with Software Version 9.0.26.61. Daily scans used to take 5 minutes and now are taking 30 minutes. It stays in "Performing Central Analysis" for a long time. It's a Windows XP machine but it's got a Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz with 2.00GB of RAM. There haven't been any known changes in my PC's configuration. No new programs, no new hardware, etc.

I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling but I did uncheck the box under Advanced Settings > Scan Settings > Allow files to be submitted for threat research. This made no difference in scan time.

Hopefully, a resolution to this recent slow scan issue can be resolved in a new Software release.
Regards,
creakndale
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
I've noticed this symptom in April when doing testing on Beta v9.0.24.49
as I mentioned on the beta thread:
https://community.webroot.com/wsa-for-home-beta-73/updated-file-for-wsa-pc-consumer-beta-systems-337909

During that time, there was mention of some beta users being on version/revision 25 vs 32. I was able to toggle between the 2 versions and definitely saw differences in scan time especially in the Central Analysis stage.
I don't have access to that machine right now to recreate with current production version but definitely isolated to that Win 7 desktop at that time and I was not able to recreate on my other laptop with Win 10.

Here's a cut and paste of my observations from one of my post on that thread.
===============================

I've decided to re-test the Revision 25 vs Revision 32 scan time comparison using a better way - by reinstalling the beta before each test. Results mimick what I have seen yesterday - Revision 32 scans significantly slower on my environment.

My computer:
--------------------
An old, spare Dell Optiplex GX620 running Windows 7 Pro SP1 32-bit, 2 GB RAM, primary boot partition 100 GB (65 GB free)

Results:
-----------
"Revision 25"
Version state: PBN: 09001831, DBN: 09001426, HVN: $Revision: #25 $
Initial automatic scan - 6 min, 6 sec
Manual scan - 3 min, 45 sec

"Revision 32"
Version state: PBN: 09001831, DBN: 09001426, HVN: $Revision: #32 $
Initial automatic scan - 30 min, 55 sec
Manual scan - 28 min, 18 sec. (Stays in "Performing central analysis" for last 5 min of scan)

Revision 32 scanning observations:
------------------------------------
Initially the scan runs quickly, churning through %, for the first few minutes. Once it gets to 41% scanning, it gets "slower" , seems to be taking more time scanning .exe & .dll files than before on Rev 25.
No apparent slowdown in computer response time as far as moving mouse around.
CPU usage around 52 % average. Physical memory used 32%.

--Patrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Come to think of it, since April I purchased a refurb Dell Win 7 Pro laptop I use for travel and with me now.
I am on version 9.0.26.61 and do not see the slowness symptom as I had with my Dell Win 7 Pro desktop back in April when testing beta 9.0.24.49.

So maybe issue is isolated to either certain machines and/or Webroot backend versions / servers?

--Patrick
Badge
Hi. I want to add my experience of scans taking 5 times as long on my Lenovo T420 Windows 7 laptop since WebRoot updated to V9.0.26.61 They used to take 13 to 30 minutes, most often 18. Ever since V9.0.26.61 installed they are taking 80 to 100 minutes.

I observed the other night the first approx 50% completed in 4 minutes. And the scan still took a total of 80 minutes to complete. I've observed most of the scan time is spent in the last part, Central Analysis, approx 80% of total scan time.
Badge +1
TechToc,
Thanks for hanging in there trying to solve the slow scan issue. Per your request using Process Explorer.
creakndale

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
So do we have a fix for this EXACT same issue here... Out of the blue... Worked fine for years!
I am thinking from how they are saying, it is an on-going issue they are working on fixing and has to do with the last update to Webroot - Version / 9.0.26.61 which came out a short time back.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
For some unknown reason, today's scan dropped from 30m to 11m 58s. Still slows way down once it reaches 41% but at 70% it speeds back up. At 11m 53s it entered Performing Central Analysis for only 5s completing the scan at 11m 58s. Checked the Software Version thinking I might have been pushed a new version but it's still reporting 9.0.26.61. Still reports Files Scanned >56,000 files.

creakndale

Oddly seen the same for my webroot, the scan before this one was 20m 38s an the last scan I had was only 10m 48s and I have seen similar things with it running apparently slow still then picking back up again at the end too.

Still 9.0.26.61
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
For some unknown reason, today's scan dropped from 30m to 11m 58s. Still slows way down once it reaches 41% but at 70% it speeds back up. At 11m 53s it entered Performing Central Analysis for only 5s completing the scan at 11m 58s. Checked the Software Version thinking I might have been pushed a new version but it's still reporting 9.0.26.61. Still reports Files Scanned >56,000 files.

creakndale

Another update on my webroot, my webroot now scans around 5 / 6 minutes now total though still seems to eat up processor space, being that it runs still nearly 99% useage when running.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Another update on my webroot, my webroot now scans around 5 / 6 minutes now total though still seems to eat up processor space, being that it runs still nearly 99% useage when running.Ran a scan moments ago and no change for me. Time elapsed 11m 51s. Average CPU usage 25% to 29%.

Still showing v9.0.26.61
creakndale

Nod, Mine apparently fluctuates now.

It can be anything from 5 to 6 minutes to up to 11 to 15 minutes, strange... it seems marginally better.

still also v 9.0.26.61 too