Software Removal Tools

• 22 February 2013
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 7
After some debate, the Software Removal Tool Idea has been approved.  Thank you!  

While I started this thread, and will maintain it, I am not an employee of Webroot or any other software company.  I do not endorse any software product, nor imply that any product is better, or worse, than any other product.  This is simply a listing of software removal tools I have found along the way that have been made available by the devoloper of the software.  These are intended to be used as a handy reference for folks with damaged installations, expired software, or otherwise undesired software for which they wish to use a removal tool.  In no way should the removal list thread be taken as a suggestion to remove the software listed.  Webroot is designed to be compatible with all other software, and this list is not intended to imply otherwise.  This list is for removal tools/instructions of all types of software.

Members of the community are encouraged to comment with additional software removal tools they have knowledge of as long as:

1) The removal tool or instructions are free for use, and provided by the developer of the software to be removed.
2) No suggestions or comments, outright or implied, be made that any of the software listed is inferior, undesireable, or should be removed.
3) All suggested submissions MUST point to the web page that the suggested tool is located on.  I will not post the download itself as the user is solely responsible for any and all consequences for using any tool listed.  Anyone who chooses to use a tool is expected to read the documentation of any tool before use, and agree to the terms and conditions of the tool developer.  Webroot, myself, and all others who may suggest tools to be included or post any comments here make no claims as to the effectiveness of any tool, nor will be held responsible for any unwanted affects or damage that may occur by using any tool listed.
4) Webroot reserves the right to remove any comment, suggestion, or the entire thread at their sole discretion at any time and for any reason.  I appreciate the opportunity for the members of the community to be allowed this space for the purpose of helping each other and providing this information.

NOTE:  While in general I will only include programs from the software developer, there may be a few applications from a 3rd party.  I consider 3rd party apps to be of greater risk, and so they are listed in red.  Again, ALL applications listed are "Use at your own Risk".

Adobe  Acrobat and Reader 9, 10
  • Read instructions carefully.
AppRemover  Supported Applications  Free Download  CNET Reviews
  • This is a 3rd party utility.  I reccomend reading the CNET reviews for this item.  While it appears to have a good success rate, there have also been some bad impacts as well.  It might be a good idea to use the software developers own tool (If available) first and use this as a secondary.  Suggestion provided by: TripleHelix
Avast  Download and Instructions

• Short and sweet, but read directions carefully.
AVG  Downloads and Uses Page
  • Quite a few available tools here, you will need to select the correct one for the version that is to be removed.
Avira  Instructions and Utility

• Manual directions and Registry cleaner application
BitDefender  Instructions and Download

• Short and to the point.
 BullGuard  Instructions and Download
  • Instructions and links appear to be a bit confused, but also contains removal tool.
Comodo  Instructions and Download
  •  Third Party Tool While this is located on the Comodo forums, the tool was developed by users, not the developer.  Approach with caution.
Eset  Instructions and Download

• Using the ESET Uninstaller may reset your Windows network settings. Command window, read directions carefully.
F-Secure  FTP Instructions and Downloads

• FTP site.  Instructions are in the readme.txt file.
G Data  Download

• Description, but no instructions.
Java  Removal Applet
  • Removal Applet, opens the removal tool in your browser.  It should detect and remove old versions of Java.
Kaspersky Labs  Download and Instructions
  • Several different products are listed, as well as specific directions for Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8
LavaSoft Ad-Aware  Instructions

• No download, but the manual instructions are pretty straightforward and easy.  Old post: 2006
Malwarebyte's Download link and Instructions

• This is a discussion board thread that contains the download link, as well as instructions.
McAfee  Download and Instructions

•  This covers a variety of products
Microsoft  Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter 
  • Third Party: Even though by Microsoft, this is meant for helping when uninstalling ANY program that failed to correctly uninstall.  There have been several versions of this due to issues, so I recommended using with caution to be on the safe side.
Microsoft Office  Office 2010  Office 2007  Office 2003  Office for Mac 2011  Office for Mac 2008

• Manual instructions.
Microsoft Security Essentials  Instructions and Download

Norton Removal Tool  Downloads and Uses Page
  • The Norton removal tool is actually a set of different tools for a variety of Symantec/Norton software.  
NEW: Revo Uninstaller Freeware v2.0.4  http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Download and Install
  • Third Party Utility  Included even though a third party utility due to recommendation.  Free and fuller featured pro versions available, this utility helps remove stubborn remnants standard uninstalls can leave behind.  Suggestion provided by: TripleHelix
Trend Micro  Directions
  • Directions on how to remove 
Webroot  Deactivate KB Article

• No tool, just simple instructions for Android.  The KB article has how to use your MyWebroot Account Console to remotely deactivate/uninstall an installation.
Webroot PC Removal/Upgrade Tool

• Intended as a tool to be used during the upgrade from older versions of Webroot software (2011 and previous products) to the WSA product line, this tool may help removing such legacy Webroot applications when normal methods fail.  It is suggested to make a restore point first!  This will not remove versions 2012 and later of WSA.
  • There are a number of utilities available to repair/remove various parts of your WSA installation.  At this time I have not listed these individually, but Webroot Mods and Support may have access to these.

More coming soon.. I have a nice list, but as some of them are a bit old I am re-verifying my links before posting.

44 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi DavidP,

Thanks to you. Idea well-developed. Congratulations on a job well done.

Good job.
Maurizio.
Userlevel 7
Added Malwarebyte's by request.

Thanks TH!!
Userlevel 7
Added Java removal Applet.  Thanks TH!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Anytime David! ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
EDIT

The entire list provided has been copied and is going reviewed for addition to the post. 

Thank you again!  I do appreciate your effort in supplying such a large reqeust/suggestion list!

shorTcircuiT
Userlevel 7
Thanks Dermot!  I will check them out and add them to the list later today!

Userlevel 3
another tool to play around with would be **, it is pretty much like everything you have listed but all set to where you can autorun them all and come back in five hours......... and also lets not forget the other tool you can get from there cryptoprevent, that prevents cryptolocker for those who want even more protection from it [edit] 

Make sure to try out off of the tools listed in there that ** can use, it is amazing

ps.... don't reset print spooler with it if it is on a computer that uses an hp printer, reinstall of printer will be needed

EDIT: Removal of references that may violate, or encourage others to violate, Community Guidelines.
Userlevel 7
I know about **, and it is really not something for this list.  This list is specifically for software removal tools, not malware (Webroot itself covers that), and I don't really vision this thread for being used to post general utilities. 

Also, it is a bit past the allowed scope of the Community: this would invite general inexperienced users to engage in testing malware and infections in order to test this program, and that is very much against the Community Guidelines.  I have to pass on this one.

EDIT: Removal of references that may violate, or encourage others to violate, Community Guidelines.
Userlevel 3
true, sorry about that, i was just stating that the software removal tools in the maintenance side of it has lots of references for good software removal tools
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
true, sorry about that, i was just stating that the software removal tools in the maintenance side of it has lots of references for good software removal tools
I understand, and I know your intent was good.  Getting this thread approved though, was only by quite a bit of discussion and it was made VERY clear that I MUST be very careful to stay entirely within the intent of it, approved scope of it, and the Community Guidelines or approval for it can be removed at any time and the thread deleted.
EDIT

The entire list provided has been copied and is going reviewed for addition to the post. 

Thank you again!  I do appreciate your effort in supplying such a large reqeust/suggestion list!

shorTcircuiT
Userlevel 7
?

Some of these appear to be already on my list, but I thank you VERY much for the suggestions.  I will go over them later today and add them in.

Thanks!
My Pleasure 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Added to the first post:

NEW: Revo Uninstaller Freeware v2.0.0 good for both 32bit and now 64bit http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Download and Install
  • Third Party Utility  Included even though a third party utility due to recommendation.  Free and fuller featured pro versions available, this utility helps remove stubborn remnants standard uninstalls can leave behind. 
Very good uninstalling tool to keep installed on your system.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Nice one, Daniel...stupid of me not to think of doing that. Thanks for the update. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Hello.

are trustable these software removal tools like revo uninstaller or your uninstaller...?
Userlevel 7
Hi ParhamThe only one that I can vouch for in the list as I have a license for it and have used it extensively without issues is Revo Uninstaller.As we cannot really discuss other products here I will PM you some further thoughts.Hope that helps?Regards, Baldrick
i have a question what about bios UEfi and registry edit how do you resolve that. i used hitman pro and adware, JRT from malware and had great turn outs beside the rkill and CMDrogue restarting the computer and what ever takes over my credentials and admin account and then i have to reinstll windows again and he is back in there. i have lost 2 computers and have 3 more down. and lost 1 phone but att replaced it. but he is somehow using developement mode behind my eyes and beaming or casting to my phones and leaving me down with no way to comunicate. i have paid micro and paid dell and paid mcafe and avg and track off and no results but reinstall and attack it again and lose my phone and data. the problem is i try to clean browser for programs to run . because if you install he hasbtge security rights to change tbs way it runs half way thru when i think im ahead and reboot to clean he take over admin and i have to sign in on his and hes ready no access to anything no rights no programs . im at lost i have even formated thru comand but they always win. the computers ate 5 months old and my gs7 is 4. windows pro on dell3656 insp. well if your interest we wll chat. i only about 3300.00 down right now im begging to think no one can help me. it all about killing the Hey Locai but i noy nowing about thr reistry but alot of vales are changed. i also see the cmd flash before ibreinstall im thi king hes exe some kind on command to stop installs from prperly installing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello @ and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Are you a user of Webroot SecureAnywhere and if so what product are you using? https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home

Now if you had WSA installed or even installed after these things have happen I would suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket so they can see your scan logs and they will help you resolve your issues.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉