Sony Vaio Pro 11 review: Lighter-than-Air ultrabook winner

• 5 June 2013
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Splashy convertibles and hybrids might be what many laptop makers are using to get people interested in buying a new Windows 8 system, but we've been waiting for some good ol' traditional clamshells that are more than Windows 7 models with touch screens. And, apparently, all it took to get them was some new Intel processors.
Case in point, Sony's new Vaio Pro 11 and Pro 13, two Windows 8 ultrabooks that can go clickpad-to-clickpad with the current Apple MacBook Air lineup. Weighing 1.9 pounds and 2.3 pounds respectively, the Pro 11 and Pro 13 are both only 0.68 inch thick. With their new fourth-generation Core i5 and i7 dual-core processors come longer battery life, improved integrated graphics, and better security and wireless features.

That's great and all, but why not just buy an Air, right? Well, aside from the obvious reason that not everyone likes Apple products, the Pro 11 we reviewed here comes well-equipped for its base price of $1,149 with a fourth-gen Intel Core i5 processor; a 1080p touch-screen IPS (in-plane switching) LCD; battery life in excess of 6 hours and the capability to get up to twice that battery life with an add-on battery; and a wake time of about 2 seconds and boot time of less than 10 seconds. Standard features include an HD Webcam, backlit keyboard, and solid-state drive for storage.
Simply put, it is an excellent little Windows 8 laptop.

Read here.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm sorry I would never buy a Sony but I do like Dell.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Problem with Sony devices is that they are quite overpriced for what you actually get. They also have a load of pre-installed junk and Ssony ports that nobody actually uses!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Daniel
Sorry my friend but exactly the opposite in my case. Being VAIO satisfied user this new laptop really excites me. Believe or not, never had better laptop than VAIO.

Thanks Amit for the article.
Userlevel 7
I worked for DELL for a while and there is nobody on the market that can provide the spec levels at the price they sell laptops at. The amount of money the spend on testing hardware is unreal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel
Sorry my friend but exactly the opposite in my case. Being VAIO satisfied user this new laptop really excites me. Believe or not, never had better laptop than VAIO.

Thanks Amit for the article.
Well I will expand on what I said! I will not ever buy any Sony products because of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal I have never tried a Sony Laptop so I wouldn't know sorry.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
np Daniel, understood 😃 what a man's opinion ...